Help With This Wedding Order Please

Business By sarascakecreations Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm by Lcubed82

sarascakecreations Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 12

Hello,

So I'm fairly new to the wedding cake world... been decorating for a while but this order has me stumped!

I attached a picture of what she wants and I think we are going with 2 12" round cakes, 1 10" round and 1 8" round.... all done in MM fondant with a filling in each... what should I charge? I have the cake pricing matrix but I am yet to figure it out!

Also in terms of the glass vases, what should I do? rent them from somewhere? or should I buy them for myself then charge her some kind of rental fee? Are they even my responsibilty? Is it something I should tell her to get or to ask her hall for?

Please help, I really want to take this order but I am so lost!
LL

11 replies
tootie0809 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 12

The glass elevators look like upside down glass cylinders to me. Those can be quite expensive, and with a set up like this, I would assume it's not something you'd be using that often to warrant purchasing it yourself for future use. I'd definitely tell the bride the dispay items will be up to her to figure out.

As for the pricing, the 2 "large" cakes don't look like 12 inch cakes to me; they look more like 8 or maybe 9 inches. The smaller ones look like an extra tall 6 inch and a shorter 6 inch. Pricing is one of the most asked questions here, and is very difficult to give a general answer on. What you need to do is figure out the price per serving you are comfortable with and then multiply that by however many servings the cakes will give and charge that amount.

It's a beautiful display! Good luck!

thatslifeca Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 12

That's a beautiful display, but I'm also concerned about the size of those cakes she wants. I've done similar displays but the cakes have always been for 9' the most. The glass cylinders are very expense to purchase, so you have to make a judgement call on that one. I am now only a hobby baker and when I do a cake for someone, I usually do the whole table. I charge the brides a fee for doing that, and once they look at my porfolio they usually don't mind. Something like this pic is wonderful for that and I don't blame you for wanting to do it. You should check also if you can find glass cylinders that are going to be large enough to hold the size of the cakes she wants. From my exprience, this is usually for an intimit wedding, usally no more then 50-60 guests. I would recommend I guess that you do some research and find out how much this is going to cost you. You and the bride might have to revise your plans. Maybe make smaller cakes and more of them, depending on the amount being served. About how much you would charge, that's a whole different thing for were you live, what others charge etc. etc. so I'm sorry I can't help you there.

KoryAK Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:05am
post #4 of 12

I'm pretty sure I've seen those at Michael's

Jayde Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #5 of 12

They have them at Michaels and Hobby Lobby, but I agree I would tell the bride that the decorative items must be purchased by her in full. HOWEVER! If she gets the wrong thing or the wrong size that could certainly put a damper on displaying cakes on top. I am not sure about a 12 inch on something that looks like it has a 8 inch diameter, one bump and you have got a mess.

So this is what I would do. Get yourself some coupons and go and buy the vases. Put them on your contract and attach receipts to them. Add them in to the price of the cake on the contract. Tell her that they are hers to keep afterwards, they would look pretty on a mantle. That way you make sure that you get something that will work and the correct sizes.

mandymakescakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarascakecreations

Also in terms of the glass vases, what should I do?

You can find vases like these at a TJ Max & More, or HomeGoods (which are essentially the same store). The prices are really good, but you may have to make several trips to get all that you want. They get new stuff every day, but I find the best deals first thing in the morning on Mondays and Tuesdays, if I can get there. You could easily spend $50-$100 per vase at a retail store like Crate & Barrel or Z-Galleries, while TJ Max will price them between $10-$40 depending on the size, no joke. I'd include the cost of the vases in the quote and either keep them (if you have room to store/display them), or leave them for her to deal with afterwards.

That's a beautiful set-up by the way... might just use a similar idea for my mom's 55th birthday in September icon_biggrin.gif

johnson6ofus Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #7 of 12

I would charge more than the receipt price! Your time spent "shopping" must be compensated as well... and the crystal candle holders add so much as well- more stuff for the table, and more expense for the bride.

Nice setup, but cost of the cakes may be less than the crystal / glass on the table.

mandymakescakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:50am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

I would charge more than the receipt price! Your time spent "shopping" must be compensated as well... and the crystal candle holders add so much as well- more stuff for the table, and more expense for the bride.

Nice setup, but cost of the cakes may be less than the crystal / glass on the table.

I absolutely agree... I forgot to add, "Don't be afraid to mark up your out of pocket cost on the set-up supplies!" icon_lol.gif

johnson6ofus Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:17am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

Get yourself some coupons and go and buy the vases. Put them on your contract and attach receipts to them. Add them in to the price of the cake on the contract.

Mandy, this post was my concern--- yikes icon_eek.gif . I'd buy them, charge her, and keep them myself as payment for the aggravation. icon_evil.gif

Beautiful setup though.

MessMaker Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:08am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

Get yourself some coupons and go and buy the vases. Put them on your contract and attach receipts to them. Add them in to the price of the cake on the contract.

Mandy, this post was my concern--- yikes icon_eek.gif . I'd buy them, charge her, and keep them myself as payment for the aggravation. icon_evil.gif

Beautiful setup though.

I agree. Charge her the full price you paid, call it the rental fee ( in-case something accidentally gets broke) and keep them..If you have the storage to keep them. you never know when you will need them again.

rainbow_kisses Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 12

Are you just doing 4 cakes or the 5 that is in the pic? I would consider doing a 10 an 8 two 6 and a 4 for the set up. Obviously dependent on the serving number required.

Lcubed82 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 12

You need to find your vases before deciding on cake sizes. It looks like each cake is the same diameter as the vase, so you need to know your vase sizes first.

I would either have the bride buy, or add "your price" for the vases to your cake price, then leave her the vases (unless you really want them).

Hobby only here, JMO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%