Can You Stick Gumpaste Together After Dried?

Decorating By zaco Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 1:21am by zaco

zaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zaco Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 9

I'm working on a sorcerer mickey figure out of gumpaste. For the most part I'm really happy, but he keep on falling apart! I know a little bit of water will work as glue when the gumpaste is still fairly malleable, but it wasn't strong enough for his arms which are protruding outwards. I then tried royal icing which didn't work (that was just a guess of mine, I never used royal icing before) and just recently tried egg whites which is currently drying, but again I don't think it's going to hold. Honestly at this point I'm just tempted to glue to him together! No one is going to eat him, but I still would like to know how to make it properly out of all edible material, but I fear it may be too late now that it's dried.
Oh and yes I have used some pasta to hold it together, but it is still not as solid as I like. My previous figures are super sturdy and if they tip I don't worry about breakage...this guy, not so much.

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 9

I would have suggested the royal, so I'm not sure what to tell ya. icon_sad.gif Maybe candy melts?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 9

Try making your r/i with meringue powder. See if this is stronger than making it with egg whites. This might help, but don,t know. Yes, and then try the melted chocolate for glue. good luck

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 9

Dry to dry gluing is tough. I've been able to do it using thick gum glue (tylose dissolved in water, but it was a real pain.

I, too, think that melted chocolate or candy melts is your best bet. They set up quickly, so upright items stay in place right away, defeating gravity.

HTH
Rae

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

Try making your r/i with meringue powder. See if this is stronger than making it with egg whites. This might help, but don,t know. Yes, and then try the melted chocolate for glue. good luck

Royal icing with egg white is actually stronger than one made with meringue powder icon_smile.gif That's why people use the egg white based one for making all those difficult string work designs.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Dry to dry gluing is tough. I've been able to do it using thick gum glue (tylose dissolved in water, but it was a real pain.

I, too, think that melted chocolate or candy melts is your best bet. They set up quickly, so upright items stay in place right away, defeating gravity.

HTH
Rae

Ditto!

zaco Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the suggestions! I've never used candy melts before so definitely wouldn't have thought of it. Can't wait to try!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 9

Use a small piece of fresh gumpaste. Get it slightly wet on each side with a glue made from gumpaste mix. That should do the trick.

zaco Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Use a small piece of fresh gumpaste. Get it slightly wet on each side with a glue made from gumpaste mix. That should do the trick.

You're right! It worked perfectly! Now I just need to wait for my terra cotta red petal dust and I can be finished. Thanks for the great advice, I'm really starting to love this forum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%