Last Minute Cake Order...unsure...

Business By Kitagrl Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm by iamcakin

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 9

So I'm working with a lady whose baker had to back out of her cake order...its for next weekend...shoebox and stiletto heel shoe... I technically only have one cake order next weekend but I also planned alot of other stuff....a whole morning of doing cookies with someone I know, plus blueberry picking and just being a "mom" plus having some company over.

I decided to go ahead and try to fit in this lady.

She does not have email so she's using her neighbor's email. But she's sounding kinda picky...wants to know if I bake from scratch (she ordered chocolate and vanilla so in that case I do use doctored mixes...I do scratch if its pound, pumpkin, rich chocolate, or other scratch mixes...I separate them by "bakery style" and "homestyle")...and when she asked for raspberry filling I suggested preserves and she said "Well, a GOOD preserves...". I just got her email asking about scratch cake, and telling me she wanted a nice tall thin "stiletto" heel, not a "stumpy" one.

I'm about to back out and tell her something else came up. I'm here trying to work in a cake I really don't want to do, as a favor to her, and here she is getting picky on me. YES its going to be a cake mix okay? Go away! haha. If she cannot trust my reputation that is online and in testimonials, then maybe she should not be hiring me.

If I'm going to cancel I need to do it soon so she has time to find someone else...I know it would be an extra $300 or so but I don't know of the stress is worth it with everything else going on right now.

8 replies
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 9

If you can afford to turn it down then I would. If she turns out to be the PITA you suspect, then you'll just be kicking yourself over it later. Or up the price a lot more to make it worth your while.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 9

Wonder why the other baker backed out hmmmm... icon_rolleyes.gif

Trust your instincts. If this doesn't feel right and you already said your schedule was pretty full, then I would turn it down.

Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 9

I would say if you have made other plans and she is being picky and difficult..I would say "Forget it" she is going to turn out to be a PIA and totally not worth cancelling the plans you have made to be with your family.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 9

I went ahead and backed out. The money is nice but this week is already a stressful week and I was looking forward to a less stressful week...just one three-tiered cake and other stuff filling my time, which already will keep me plenty busy.

She's probably going to call me and cuss me out...haha....I emailed her back and I think she's expecting a call...her email is at her neighbor's house....

Oh well. I feel sorry for her but when she started making picky demands I felt my compassion draining. She should have just been praising me for taking her last minute order instead of questioning my recipes.....

That and she is calling me "Sue". If she wants Cakes by Sue, she has the wrong baker anyway. haha.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Mias_Cakes

Wonder why the other baker backed out hmmmm... icon_rolleyes.gif

Trust your instincts. If this doesn't feel right and you already said your schedule was pretty full, then I would turn it down.

For a good reason...FIL dying and she cancelled her entire cake schedule, or that's what the lady told me.

emrldsky Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 9

I think you now know why the other person backed out.

Run far away....

neelycharmed Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 9

I agree with you 100%... extra $$$ is great, but its not worth it.
Sometimes customers take the fun out of making a cake.. lol
icon_smile.gif Jodi

iamcakin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

That and she is calling me "Sue". If she wants Cakes by Sue, she has the wrong baker anyway. haha.

Hahahahahahahahhahah icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%