Do I Need To Dip My Gumpaste Figure Into Chocolate ?

Decorating By Tug Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 2:58am by ambercscott87

Tug Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 6

I made some gumpaste figures for an under the sea themed cake. I will be sticking the seagrass/seaweed into the cake. I will also be embedding a few other figures into the cake so they can stand upright.

I read in one post that a cc'er said you should dip the part that will be in the cake in chocolate to prevent moisture from seeping into the gumpaste and softening it up.

The cake will be delivered Wednesday and eaten Thursday night. It will most likely be refridgerated before the boy's family party.

Please tell me if I need to dip in chocolate to make sure the pieces don't droop. The gumpaste seaweed, sign and figures have been made about 5 days ago and are dried.

5 replies
Herekittykitty Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 6

I would say you don't have to dip, but does the cake HAVE to be refridgerated? If not, don't. The moisture from the fridge will wreak havoc with your gumpaste figures.

Dipping helps keep discoloration off the items (from soaking up moisture) and softening - you didn't say if it was on BC or fondant (or I missed it).

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 6

If you're going to stick the gum paste pieces into the cake--especially very thin pieces--the pieces can break at the point where they meet the moisture of the cake and/or icing. Thicker items are probably OK.

Because of that issue (had it happen with tulip leaves that were unwired), I always dip things in chocolate.

Refrigeration can accelerate the absorption of moisture by gum paste--best to avoid if you can. Place as many of the gum paste things on at the last minute after the cake has come to room temp. or don't refrigerate at all if it's not required for food safety.

JMHO
Rae

Tug Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If you're going to stick the gum paste pieces into the cake--especially very thin pieces--the pieces can break at the point where they meet the moisture of the cake and/or icing.

This makes sense.

Herekittykitty:
I am so paranoid about a cake traveling that is not firmed up from refrigeration so I always refrigerate. I think from all the posts on here, I need to get over this fear.

Herekittykitty Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 6

I'm the same way, but now that I am plyaing more w/ techniques (fondant, RI, Gumpaste) I don't.

ambercscott87 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #6 of 6

I always wondered how you could stick gumpaste items into fondant/BC without them collecting the moisture and collapsing! Thanks for this tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%