Edible Image Printers Or Copiers...are They Worth It?

Decorating By Yum2010 Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 3:19am by cutthecake

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 12

After a rough, and time consuming weekend of cakes....All of them had very specific themes and requested specific characters on them....AHHH!! I am seriously considering purchasing an edible image printer or copier. I know that some bakeries/ grocery stores offer to print edible images, but none do this in my area. And I know that you can order them online, but some of my orders are kinda short notice and this isn't an option either. Now, I've been doing cakes for a while, but I know absolutely NOTHING about this. I've done a little research, only to get more confused. So I was hoping that you wonderful people could help answer some of my questions....
1. Is it the software I have to purchase or the printer itself, or both?
2. What about the edible copier....would this be better?
3. Those of you that have one, what kind do you have and do you like it? was it worth the money?
4. How user friendly are they?

11 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 12

You need to purchase the printer itself. I have an epson copier/printer and I love it. It was worth every penny ($60 on ebay). I believe kopykake and icingimages web sites have a list of printers they sell cartridges for and they both have software you can use for free with purchase of their frosting sheets. You can also download Edible ARtist and it is completely free. I find it to be very user friendly, however if not used often they can clog and become a pain. I try to print something, even if it's just on paper, at least once a week. I've read horror stories of the canon's having a lot of problems with clogged print heads but I haven't had problems with the epson.. JMO

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 12

I think it is one of the best things I have. I use a canon printer - not a specific"edible printer machine" Just check out what kind of food color cartridges are avaliable, then go to the office store and buy a printer that matches the ink cartriges. Don't use it for real ink-it is not mixable. But you can use the software you already use- like word or adobe. icon_smile.gif

You can get cratridges for just about any brand- alot of people use HP or epson ones, but I love my canons- and the heads are easy to remove and clean.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 12

I have one now, and when I need it, it is priceless!! No more fretting about how to draw a design, and worrying if I can get it from someone else.

It is worth printing something out on a piece of paper once a week to have the luxury of having it RIGHT HERE.

You can also make plaques and banners with PERFECT writing with whatever font you choose.

I LOVE mine, and won't be without it ever again! I bought an Epson C88+ online for about $80, the ink was $72 and the icing sheets were $25. I chose the Epson because that is what a good friend of mine owns, and she has never had an issue with hers.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 12

I just started with my set up about 3 months ago..It was a pretty big expense at first and I had a few problems with the ink cartridges but Debbie from Icing Images has been awesome and fixed the problem immediatley.Now having said that...I'm not sure I would do it again...I feel the prints that come from my printer ..IP 3600 Canon are not crisp vibrant color.A few images I have printed ended up coming out alot more dull that the pic on the computer and I was disappointed...I also ended up wasting more sheets when the image printed distorted or print head problems etc..Can become costly.I always end up printing the picture on regular paper first now just to make sure it comes out the way I want it and that ends up wasting ink..It has been great for small project like making playing cards,small decorative images for cakes and I like that.Beats having to do it in RI.I guess it just depends how much you think you will use it.HTH

Janet Your cakes rock!!!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 12

Good Question!
I would love to know as well.
I just don't know how often I would use it, and I know that people complain about the ink clogging. So, how much maintance is there I wonder?
icon_smile.gif Jodi

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 12

I had one and I was bad and did not remove the cartridges and cap them between uses, etc...in short, I ruined my printer and wasted all the money on ink and etc that I could have had in my pocket....

Now I order online...the few times I do need edible images, I just get them online, after shipping costs about $15 and then I don't have to worry about keeping up my own equipment and spending $70 on ink and $35 on icing sheets and stuff. I don't do alot of last minute orders so I just have to be sure to look ahead and order my images early enough.

I preferred having my own printer as far as convenience, but I regret the money I spent on trying to keep it up at home.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 12

I have the Canon i560. I have found that it needs to be used regularly, or it clogs terribly, and gives me big problems with streaking and lines in the images. Debbie at IcingImages (I did not purchase my system from her) has graciously offered to steam clean the printer head for me, but I have not had the chance to send the print head to her yet.

I haven't used it in a year, and I'm putting off using it because I know it won't work.

To summarize, when the system is working properly, it's great; but when it isn't working properly, it's a nightmare.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 12

[quote="cutthecake"]I have the Canon i560. I have found that it needs to be used regularly, or it clogs terribly, and gives me big problems with streaking and lines in the images. Debbie at IcingImages (I did not purchase my system from her) has graciously offered to steam clean the printer head for me, but I have not had the chance to send the print head to her yet.

I haven't used it in a year, and I'm putting off using it because I know it won't work.

To summarize, when the system is working properly, it's great; but when it isn't working properly, it's a nightmare.[/quote

I have an i560 also. Mine is at least 7years old if not older. the print heads simply pull right out. it's the inner tray- not the large bracket. You can simply put it in a flat pan, and put everclear in the inside. it will go through and clean out the color. it takes a few rinses of the everclear.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 12

I bought the Canon IP3600 and all the supplies from icing images.... AND I DONT KNOW HOW I LIVED WITHOUT IT!! I find myself using it constantly. The colors are amazing (maybe slightly diff than of the pc, but miles and miles ahead of the Safeway prints I used to get) and I love being able to print whatever I need whenever I need (Safeway bakers left at 3pm). I think I paid about $300 for the system and the sheets are about $1 apiece.... but I have still SAVED money vs. the $10 a sheet I was paying at Safeway.

DO IT!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:05am
post #11 of 12

Hi Yum2010! I suggest that you visit this thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-683163-.html It fully discusses epson vs canon. Actually edible printing is just like regular printing. The only difference is that you are using a printer that is compatable with edible inks and edible paper. You can use any software you are already familiar with, with the exception of printing the multiple up which needs positioning software. As everyone mentions the best thing you can do with an edible printer, and it is the same with regular printing, is use it!!!! If you are using it at least once per week you should be fine depending on the inks you choose. So, if you wont be using it regularly, I do not recommend a printer, but rather order prints online until your business has picked up enough to justify a printer. Again, once per week is what you really want to judge by.

Now you probably read more about Canons then epsons as there are more out there. But you will consistantly see that the problems people have are lack of use only. I know our inks have really changed the industry. Where people use to have all kinds of problems, our newer Gold Label inks very seldom clog and produce vibrant pictures. Many of the problems people have are also with the the older styled sponged tanks. Our Gold label cartridges do not use a sponge and thus it helps to reduce the amount of clogging dramatically.

Cutthecake....send me the printhead, I can test it for nothing but the cost of shipping. If I can get it clean, you are back in the printing business. If I cant, you are only out the shipping.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #12 of 12

Thanks, icingimages! I appreciate that very much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%