Gluten Free Baking

Baking By azeboi2005 Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm by Karen421

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all, it's been a while since I've been in the forums and I am really needing some assistance now. I had a mom contact me today asking about a gluten free cake. She is having the hardest time finding someone who can provide her a cake that her and her daughter can eat. I don't know where to begin with this request, I've never baked anything gluten free what are some good recipes? Do you grease pans differently? I normally use Sugar Shack's bc recipe, do I have use something different? Please help!!

Chris

4 replies
Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 5

Hi here is a previous discussion about gluten free cakes.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6834611-.html#6834611

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 5

I just tried the Bob's red mill GF chocolate cake mix and it was DELISH!!!! No one could tell it was GF. Although like people mentioned on the other thread, cross contamination is a big issue. I'm just gluten intolerant so I can be around it but I don't eat it. Good luck!

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 5

My advice is to use a mix that is labeled gluten free if you've never baked gluten free from scratch. I've just been diagnosed as non-celiac gluten intolerant (ironic being that I'm a baker - argh!). I've been piddling around with baking GF cookies and quick breads so far. The recipes are very different and you really have to watch - there's hidden gluten in so many ingredients and they don't always label it separately (ex. modified food starch can contain gluten and you'd never know just by reading the label.) I purchased a spice cake mix from Namaste foods that had some great reviews. I'd check amazon on different GF cake mixes and look at the reviews. Look in google for gluten free icing recipes...most will be fine - butter is safe, crisco products are safe, domino confectioners sugar is safe (just sugar and cornstarch), vanilla extract (and other alcohol based extracts) can be iffy, so check with the manufacturers website or help number to be sure.

Just check the labels on anything not specifically labeled gluten free, and if you can't tell...call the company or use something else that you can be sure about...it's crazy what you find gluten in and just a small amount can make someone who has celiac or gluten intolerance violently ill.

Sanitize/wash all surfaces, utensils, mixing bowls, etc. before you bake - contamination can definitely be a huge issue.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 5

I just finished baking gluten free cakes. This is my first time and I was really worried, but not about the cake, about what do I grease and flour the pan with, can I use fondant, and what do I fill with. I found out that Pam original is gluten free, not Pam Baking, Pam original or even Pam butter, then I floured with some of cake mix (Betty Crocker gluten free yellow- with Jell-o brand pudding). Kraft has a list of their products that are gluten free on their web site. Wilton fondant and gumpaste are also gluten free. There are a lot of web sites that are really helpful. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%