Royal Icing On Rkt Question...

Decorating By jenbakescakes Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 2:27am by thatslifeca

jenbakescakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 3

Hi...I have a quick question. I'm going to be doing the cake here:
(by afunk) for my nephew's 1st birthday this weekend. I have to transport it 3 hours but I will be able to do some assembly there. I'm planning on doing Elmo in RKT, covering him in a thin layer of royal icing to make him a little more solid and then doing his "fur" in buttercream. As long as I let the royal icing dry completely before I put the buttercream on it should be fine right? I ask because I have heard many times that any grease will break down royal icing. The last thing I want is to have Elmo melt on the way up to the party. So should I do his fur at home before the trip or at the party at the time of set up? I would prefer to do it here but I'll do what I got to do! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

2 replies
jenbakescakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:19am
post #2 of 3

thatslifeca Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 3

ok here's the deal, if your going to make elmo out of RKT that is full of oil and the RI isn't going to harden, it's going to melt. RI and any kind of greasey thing won't mix, plus when you go to add your BC to the RI (if it sticks to the RKT) is going to cause the RI to melt and BC not attach. I would make a crusting BC, and put that on Elmo and let it crust, then add the fur. Just make sure that you make lots of BC in the same red tone, so you don't run out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%