So, I Guess I Knew Even Less Than I Thought About Fondant :(

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm by sugalips

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 17

Ugh....
icon_cry.gif

I have been so excited about getting my cake dummies and using them to build my portfolio. I designed a few cakes and started on my first a few days ago.

I got all of the accents finished with no problem and I was proud of them. Several gumpaste roses, a few RI snowflakes and a few other things. They all turned out nice.

Last night I colored my homemade fondant and actually got the perfect color on my first try, without having to add anymore color. I used the MFF recipe.

I have only made one other fondant cake which turned out so-so so I have no idea what made me think I could jump right into covering a 3 tier dummy with no problems. From the beginning, the fondant wasn't behaving. Either too dry or too sticky. I couldn't get it to roll out correctly. It was tearing and cracking icon_sad.gif

I wound up just putting it to the side and going to bed without the cake covered.

I just don't know what I am doing. I bought the Sharon Zambito buttercream DVD a while back and was utterly amazed at how much I learned from it. I had hoped to get her fondant DVD before I even started the portfolio process but can't afford it right now so I have been trying to "wing it". Well, that didn't work.

I apologize for the rant but I had a vision of having my cake covered this morning so I could put the finishing touches on it and get pictures taken, but my cake dummy is still nothing but Styrofoam... Let's hope i have better luck today...

16 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 17

Sorry that you're having so much trouble. Just wanted to tell you that I've made MMF several times and I have NEVER had good results. I've never been able to cover a cake with it. I would suggest that you either try another recipe (I make Michele Foster's fondant) or buy Wilton to cover your dummies with. Wilton is great for covering a dummy cake.

What I'm saying is don't give up on fondant when all you've ever tried is the marshmallow fondant.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 17

Actually, I used the premade Wilton's fondant for the Creel cake and found it great to work with...just for the accents, mind you, not covering a whole cake. One problem was that I made the whole cake, put it in the frig and by morning the black from the straps dripped down the side of the cake, then, after sitting out for about 4 hours, the straps broke off and one of the "lures" started sliding down the side of the cake. It was iced w/ Bettercream so do I have to put a piece of wax paper or something under every place the fondant touched the icing to keep the fondant in tact???

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 17

Fondant will not stay on anything like bettercream or whipped cream. It is too wet and pretty much dissolves the fondant. I haven't heard of any one putting waxed paper underneath...worth a try if you're willing.

sugalips Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 17

Not really willing to be cutting little bitty pieces of wax paper. thumbsdown.gif Thanks for your insight though! Lesson learned: fondant on buttercream, Negatory!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 17

You CAN put fondant on buttercream NOT bettercream or whipped cream. It also didn't help that you refrigerated it as that causes condensation.

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugalips

Not really willing to be cutting little bitty pieces of wax paper. thumbsdown.gif Thanks for your insight though! Lesson learned: fondant on buttercream, Negatory!

Fondant on top of BUTTERcream is perfectly fine, it was BETTERcream you mentioned first, which will not work as sweetlybaked mentioned. Which did you use?

mamawrobin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 17

I agree with Tiggy You CAN use fondant accents on bUttercream not bEttercream or whipped cream. I also agree with her on the refrigerator causing the condensation which caused your problem.

One reason that I NEVER refrigerate a cake.

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Sorry that you're having so much trouble. Just wanted to tell you that I've made MMF several times and I have NEVER had good results. I've never been able to cover a cake with it. I would suggest that you either try another recipe (I make Michele Foster's fondant) or buy Wilton to cover your dummies with. Wilton is great for covering a dummy cake.

What I'm saying is don't give up on fondant when all you've ever tried is the marshmallow fondant.

It was Michelle Fosters Fondant that I used. (MFF) I just couldn't get it to work for me. I think my next step will either be to try MMF or just save my Michaels coupons to buy a bunch of Wilton to use.

I guess it's like they say...."Practice makes perfect..."

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 17

Ok, don't know a thing about MFF, but I use MMF all the time and I know that you have to let it rest overnight before using. That's an important step. Also, when making dummy cakes you do not need to ice them with anything. A spritz of water (I use a damp napkin) works just fine to adhere the fondant to the dummy. Also, water or gumglue will also work to attach your embellishments. Working with fondant is a skill, just like working with buttercream..you won't get it on the very first try...so the dummy idea is a great way for you to practice again and again without wasting a lot of money or cake. The other thing about putting it on dummy's is that since you don't need to ice them first, if the fondant doesn't go on right then just rip it off and re-roll it!

Cat

sugalips Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 17

I used Rich's Bettercream (pre-whipped). Thank you so much for clarifying: OK with bUttercream, BAD with bEttercream. Also, I don't know why I put it in the fridge overnight. I remember now that I read DON'T refrigerate fondant. icon_redface.gif Will I ever get the hang of this??? icon_cry.gificon_sad.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 17

dont bother with buttercream...just switch to ganache and all your troubles will be over.......no seriously it's b/c u refrigerated ur cake icon_sad.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugalips

I used Rich's Bettercream (pre-whipped). Thank you so much for clarifying: OK with bUttercream, BAD with bEttercream. Also, I don't know why I put it in the fridge overnight. I remember now that I read DON'T refrigerate fondant. icon_redface.gif Will I ever get the hang of this??? icon_cry.gificon_sad.gif

nooooooo....just dont refrigerate a fondanted cake with any accents attached...the condensation makes them slide/fall off...you CAN refrigerate a plain ole one layer of fondant nothing on it cake...but you have to allow it to come to room temp and let the condensation dry off first. Which is why I don't bother even doing it...I avoid refrigerated fillings and the fridge dries out cake, anyway.......

artisancakecompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artisancakecompany Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 17

If you add half a block of store bought wilton fondant to MMF then that will take care of your cracking and your MMF will be softer, stretchier and easier to handle. NEVER refrigerate fondant. It melts. Only air drying will make fondant get stiffer. Also, adding Tylose to fondant will make it stiffen up quicker. Good for accents. Keep trying. Small steps

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:37am
post #15 of 17

learning on homemade fondant of any kind is harder, IMO. try using purchased ones, I like Wilton a lot, esp for dummies. Hang in there and do not give up. I think dummies are even a little harder to cover than real cake. The great thing is u can tear it off as many times as u care to!

mamawrobin Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:57am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grossoutqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

It was Michelle Fosters Fondant that I used. (MFF) I just couldn't get it to work for me. I think my next step will either be to try MMF or just save my Michaels coupons to buy a bunch of Wilton to use.

I guess it's like they say...."Practice makes perfect..."

Really? I LOVE Michele Fosters fondant. It's all that I ever use. BUT..since you're new to fondant I still recommend that you use a pre made fondant to get the feel and consistency of what it's suppose to be like.

Michele Foster's fondant is the best for workability and pliability that I've used and it is worth the extra time and effort to make it for me. I don't know exactly what kind of problems that you had with it but I made about 10 batches a week (or more) so if you ever need any help with it you can pm me if you'd like. I'm certainly NOT an expert but I do have great results with her recipe. It is a much higher quality fondant than marshmallow fondant.

sugalips Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks to everyone for your tips.... you guys are the BOMB!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%