Structural Help For 5 Tier With Foam Spacers

Decorating By leannrr Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 7:56am by AileenGP

leannrr Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 6

I have always used bubble tea straws and 1/2" foam core board for construction and support. I've been asked to make a wedding cake of 14"x4", 12"x4", 2"spacer, 10"x6", 2" spacer, 8"x4", 6"x6". I'm nervous about the spacers and the 6" high tiers. #1 Do I put an extra layer of support within the 6" layers? i.e. place on foam core then 2 layers, then another thin cardboard with straws? #2 How do I place the foam spacers on the cake? i.e. place on a plate or just directly on the cake below with the straws supporting? #3 Don't you think with something this tall I should put one long dowel rod down the middle of the entire cake? I've read not to do this because some of the foam spacers break off and get in the cake.
Any help would be great. I really want to do this, but definately don't want it to fall or crumble under it's own weight!! icon_smile.gif Thanks

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't use foam core layers for the reasons you suggested.You wil have to dowel it with a long rod to help with support.You best bet is to order SPS system.Available here...

leah_s Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 6

Except that you can't use a long dowel with SPS. But the cake is still very doable with SPS. There were two posts recently . . .

Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 6

Yes right Leah..You cannot use a dowel through the SPS plates...

leannrr Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 6

So then do I get the same size plate as cake- so it's flush with the cake and doesn't show? ie. for the 14" cake, buy a 14" plate? Still doesn't answer the question of how to handle the foam spacers or do I just act like those are cakes and use the plates the same? Thanks for the posts!

AileenGP Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:56am
post #6 of 6

are you assembling on site? .. you should (and it would eliminate the need for the long dowel through the entire cake as long as it's not going to be moved after set up.)

I just did a cake similar to yours (had one more tier than yours and ended up being 4 feet tall) and my biggest regret was that I didn't order the SPS early enough to get them in on time and had many scares on structural support.

Do NOT underestimate how heavy this thing is going to be, you need a sound support structure and straws aren't going to cut it.

I asked a similar question and got one answer...

Also, leah answered a similar question with another method here:

ETA: Oh and I would absolutely put a cakeboard of some sort between the styro and the cake - styrofoam gets messy and "sheds" for lack of a better term and I'd hate it to get embedded into the icing/fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%