Wine Cake Help....shiny Fondant

Decorating By kellie_21 Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 4:39am by sillywabbitz

kellie_21 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 14

Hi I am going to make a wine cake...but I am having trouble trying to figure out how to color the fondant so it looks shiney...the cake color is going to be dark deep maroon or a deep deep purple. please give me some ideas....I do have an airbrush but never used it...the fondant color right now is a purple and I am going to dye it a deeper color.

13 replies
Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 14

Hi Kellie,

I have made red wine bottles before. Colour your fondant purple/grape colour and then I have painted it with a purple/burgundy/black mixed together with vodka to get the deep colour - you will not get that colour just adding it to the fondant.

Once that is dry, mix 50/50 glucose and vodka - mix it well together and then paint it onto your bottle.

Here is an example of some wine bottles I have done.

Good luck, if you need any more help, let me know

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1419306.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1425300.html

Kim

Rosie2 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:


Wow, your bottle cakes are awesomeeeee!!! so real looking and original. Congrats you're very creative thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

fishabel Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:58am
post #4 of 14

To do shiny either use shimmer with alcohol and paint it one, or I've seen cake boss steam his fondant. I sometimes just use pearl shimmer and dust it over. And someone told me one about an edible glaze you can use and paint it on. Good Luck

CakesByLJ Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 14

Wow.. Makeitmemorable.. I wish I had seen your tip about the glucose/vodka paint before. I made one recently and this would have really been great to use.. I will know next time~! Thanks for sharing icon_biggrin.gif

michel30014 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitmemorable

Hi Kellie,

I have made red wine bottles before. Colour your fondant purple/grape colour and then I have painted it with a purple/burgundy/black mixed together with vodka to get the deep colour - you will not get that colour just adding it to the fondant.

Once that is dry, mix 50/50 glucose and vodka - mix it well together and then paint it onto your bottle.

Here is an example of some wine bottles I have done.

Good luck, if you need any more help, let me know

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1419306.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1425300.html

Kim





AWESOME Cakes. Wow, they look so real!! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_razz.gif

CHoxie Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 14

I have found when making wine bottles, I just let the fondant firm, then wipe it down with a damp cloth/paper towel. Both of my wine bottles came out shiny.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1655997

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1393619

sillywabbitz Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #8 of 14

I used 50/50 corn syrup and vodka and it worked well. It takes a couple of days to dry so it's not tacky. I am curiosa if I can increase the vodka to get it to dry faster. I also tinted the vodka with my food coloring before I added the corn syrup. It's the first cake in my pics.

PrivateNameHere Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 14

I have made fondant shiny by buffing it with shortening on my hands, but that was a large ball of fondant that was easily manipulated (I made some dinosaurs).

adonisthegreek1 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 14

Makeitmemorable, I saw your response in another post. I saved the link and recently used your technique, because I wanted my flowers to look like dew had just fallen on them. They turned out beautifully. Thank you so much for posting such helpful advice.

Makeitmemorable Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:39am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I used 50/50 corn syrup and vodka and it worked well. It takes a couple of days to dry so it's not tacky. I am curiosa if I can increase the vodka to get it to dry faster. I also tinted the vodka with my food coloring before I added the corn syrup. It's the first cake in my pics.




Hi, you can increase the vodka, I have done that, I find that if you actually put the glucose in the vodka the night before, it breaks it down and it's easier to mix in.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Makeitmemorable Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:40am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Makeitmemorable, I saw your response in another post. I saved the link and recently used your technique, because I wanted my flowers to look like dew had just fallen on them. They turned out beautifully. Thank you so much for posting such helpful advice.




Pleasure icon_smile.gif I am pleased it worked well for you.

Rosie2 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:37pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I used 50/50 corn syrup and vodka and it worked well. It takes a couple of days to dry so it's not tacky. I am curiosa if I can increase the vodka to get it to dry faster. I also tinted the vodka with my food coloring before I added the corn syrup. It's the first cake in my pics.


Wow, your cake came out awesome!! the wine bottle looks so real and pefect!! thumbs_up.gif
Quick question: how do you make chocolate shavings?? is it like shreddng cheese??

sillywabbitz Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:39am
post #14 of 14

Thanks Rosie2, I melted candy melts in a Tupperware container so I could make a block of chocolate. Then I used the long single blade in my cheese grater. When the chocolate got too soft I used the regular grate just to add some variety. It took a lot more chocolate than I expected. It's a 10x 15 and it took 2 over sized bags of candy melts and I would have liked to have had just a but moreicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%