Asking Photographer For Photos?

Business By tootie0809 Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 2:09am by jillmakescakes

tootie0809 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 18

Is it appropriate or etiquitte to ask the photographer at the wedding if they would mind sending you one of their professional photos of the cake? I can't take a good picture to save my life, and I'm usually disappointed when I see my photos that don't do justice to my cakes. I've often been tempted to ask the photographer if they'd mind sending me one with their watermarks on it so they can get credit for the photo, but I've always chickened out.

I had a little idea earlier though. I wondered about getting the name of the photographer in advance when I meet with the bride and then emailing them asking for a professional photo instead of disturbing them at the wedding when they are busy getting shots and probably don't want to be bothered.

Does anyone do this or something like this? Great photos are so important, and I know if I could get some better ones it would really help me out.

17 replies
CWR41 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

Is it appropriate or etiquitte to ask the photographer at the wedding if they would mind sending you one of their professional photos of the cake?

The photographer won't mind... it's their job, but don't expect it to be free. They'll probably give you their business card with website address so that you can order the shot that you want. If they decide to provide it to you for free, that's a bonus, but it shouldn't be expected.

thecookieladycc Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 18

I have a little section in my contract for the other vendors contact into just in case. I have contacted 2 wedding photographers so far and they were really cook about it. I always make sure that when ever I use their picts I put that the photo was taken by them. Makes for good promotion.

StephW Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 18

Are you allowed to post the photographers pictures on your web site then? Will they care?

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 18

My brother is a pro photographer and he is always happy to share his excellent photos--but not for free.

sugabear Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 18

I've asked several photographers if I can buy a picture from them. They are always happy to sell and half of the ones I have asked just gave me the pictures for free with the stipulation that I always give them credit when using it. I try to exchange business cards with them at the event when I see they have a free moment. It's good networking both ways, but definitely don't be shy. But do offer to pay them.

tootie0809 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 18

What's a good price to expect to pay? I have no problem paying for one, just don't know what would be fair, for both me and the photographer. Thanks for the great advice!

metria Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 18

sometimes it really depends on who owns the rights to the photos. when i looked for a photographer for my wedding, i specifically got one that would give me the rights to all the photos (that way family could download them from my site and print them if they wanted for free).

the photography may let you download the photo or obtain a copy (for a fee) but that does NOT necessarily mean you own the rights to the photo. i.e. you may not be allowed to show it on your website.

it definitely does not hurt to ask, but always be upfront with what you intend on doing with the photo. if all goes well, you can hopefully get a great photo for free that you can use for your business.

Elcee Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

What's a good price to expect to pay? I have no problem paying for one, just don't know what would be fair, for both me and the photographer. Thanks for the great advice!

If this comes across as sharp, I don't mean it to be but...the photographer's prices are the photographer's prices. It doesn't matter if they are fair, if you want a photo you need to pay his price, regardless. Do you price your cakes based on what is "fair" to the customer? No, you base them on what is profitable for you and they are what they are.

tootie0809 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 18

If this comes across as sharp, I don't mean it to be but...the photographer's prices are the photographer's prices. It doesn't matter if they are fair, if you want a photo you need to pay his price, regardless. Do you price your cakes based on what is "fair" to the customer? No, you base them on what is profitable for you and they are what they are.[/quote]

Okay, let me rephrase that. What would be an average price? I have no idea if it's customary to charge $10 for a photo like that or $100. I'm just wondering what to expect to be asked to pay by a photographer. And let me put it out there that I am clearly aware that each photographer will have their own prices, so again, just wondering for those who have purchased a cake photo from a photographer what did they charge you for it.

LSW929 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 18

I have always gotten photos from the photographer, I get 1- 8x10 of the cake and 1- 8x10 of the bride and groom cutting the cake. These go in my album. I take my own photos of the cake before I leave it just in case I don't hear from the photographer and proof that the cake was fine when I left it. I usually leave a note with the person in charge at the venue and they've always been happy to pass it along to the photographer. Most of them will send me the photos along with a bill, which has ranged from $15- $65 a photo.( The $65 photos were taken by a photographer that deals mainly at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, I didn't know this until I got the bill, yikes, but they were beautiful). Many have also included their business cards that I pass along to brides still needing a photographer. So if you're willing to pay for them, they'll send them. HTH

tootie0809 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSW929

I have always gotten photos from the photographer, I get 1- 8x10 of the cake and 1- 8x10 of the bride and groom cutting the cake. These go in my album. I take my own photos of the cake before I leave it just in case I don't hear from the photographer and proof that the cake was fine when I left it. I usually leave a note with the person in charge at the venue and they've always been happy to pass it along to the photographer. Most of them will send me the photos along with a bill, which has ranged from $15- $65 a photo.( The $65 photos were taken by a photographer that deals mainly at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, I didn't know this until I got the bill, yikes, but they were beautiful). Many have also included their business cards that I pass along to brides still needing a photographer. So if you're willing to pay for them, they'll send them. HTH

Thank you. That is very helpful and informative!! icon_smile.gif

aandsmommy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:28pm
post #13 of 18

The photographers I have worked with have always given me a CD of photographs free of charge or a couple of digital pics. Of course, I always credit their work. It works well for both of us...I get an amazing picture and they get me touting them on facebook and my website. If I was looking for prints, of course, I would pay for them, but a digital image or two has always been given gratis, which I thoroughly appreciate!

thecakeprincess Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:46pm
post #14 of 18

wow! really good information.

jillmakescakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:08pm
post #15 of 18

I spent 3 hours yesterday emailing photogs to get cake photos!!

Most photogs in my area will provide me with a digital file for free to use on my website and in my portfolio and I place "Photo By XXXXXX Photography" on the photo before putting it on my website or printing a copy.

I have only had one ever charge me for a print. Most are OK with my printing my own copy since they know that I am only using one print. I even had one photog print me an 11x17 large print for my lobby. I asked him what I owed,and he said "Nothing". Definitely a nice surprise. This type of relationship has proven very advantageous for both me and the photogs.

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:54pm
post #16 of 18

Jill and I probably interact(ed) with the same photographers over the years. I always found them to be very generous and helpful.

I never (!) assumed that I would get a photo free. I always (!) approached the photographer and said, "I need to hire you today to take a photo of my cake and buffet for me. I just need emailed copies to put on my website, which will of course include "photography by .....". Here's my card .... if I can get one of your cards so we can connect later....."

I swear only one time did I have to pay for photos and it was an out of town photographer who said, "Here's my card.....you can order them from my website in about 2 weeks." Everyone else just sent me the pics and I posted them with full credit.

As Jill says, building those relationships is key, and I'll add to that: Having respect (!) for them as a professional and a fellow vendor goes a long way, too! thumbs_up.gif

aandsmommy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:22pm
post #17 of 18

yes, as indydebi said...I never assume that I will get them for free...when I ask to order they have always just emailed me a pic or two for my website.

jillmakescakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:09am
post #18 of 18

In hindsight, I guess I never really OFFERED to pay for them, but I also never said I expected them for free. icon_redface.gif

But, like Debi said, there are some wonderful photog in the area and they are fabulous. I also make a point to take them extra Cake Bites and samples at the bridal shows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%