Ok, So A Bit Of A Rant....

Decorating By adamsmom Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 1:27pm by Tinabarena

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 26

So, my husband's aunts are throwing this baby shower for a cousin and they asked me if I would do the cake for them. Sure, but I knew it would be interesting. So, I talk to the one aunt last night on the phone and finalize everything. When I go to tell her that her 11X15 cake is going to cost her $37.50 she gets silent. I then go on to say that I do give friends and family 10% off (we decided this long ago when I first started doing cupcakes/cakes). She then says "hmf, okay?!" Like that just isn't what she expected..... I was so mad! Then to top it off she wants me to do favors, so I sugguest cake pops or chocolate dipped pretzel rods. She asks how much for the cake pops and I say $0.75 ea. Well, she then says that we're already having cake so she didn't think that those would work and proceeds to ask how much for the pretzel rods. I tell her $0.50 ea. She said that would work. Ugh! Good luck getting a cake around here of that size for $50, let alone a cake AND favors. This woman ticked me off!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to get the order, but after this I think I'm done with them. What did she expect me to say.."Well, since it's for you I'll just do the cake for free??" Sorry it's so long, just needed to get this off of my chest.

25 replies
KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 26

Working w/ family is NEVER a good idea. NEVER. NEVER. Did I remember to say NEVER?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 26

Yes, that's exactly what she expected. (free)

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 26

Can the cake be your gift to the mother-to-be? (That is, if you were invited.)

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 26

Hmmmm a 11x15 for $37.50.....Way to cheap!! I charge $110.00 and get it!!I charge my family the same amount as customers..That way there is no hard feelings.They know they have to pay unless I offer to bring the cake or give it as a gift!

adamsmom Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 26

I knew that this would be something that I would likely regret, but decided to give it a try and give them the benefit of the doubt. I could do the cake as a gift for the mother to be (I was invited), however, I feel that is a gift that I would rather give to a family member that I am closer to such as my sister in law, etc. My father in law is one of 12 kids, so there are a trillion cousins that we never see even during the holidays. The aunt did go ahead and order the cake, but I could tell she was doing it because she feels she has to. I guess I need to learn to say NO to them all. I just thought that I could help them out by doing a cake that would cost them a little bit less, but I was dead wrong. Lesson learnt!

adamsmom Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Hmmmm a 11x15 for $37.50.....Way to cheap!! I charge $110.00 and get it!!I charge my family the same amount as customers..That way there is no hard feelings.They know they have to pay unless I offer to bring the cake or give it as a gift!

Kiddie, is that for a single layer or is that for a kitchen cake that would serve more? I am just doing one layer since they don't need that many servings. Also, cakes in my area don't go for as much as the rest of the country. $50 is about standard in my area for a 11X15 that would serve 24-36 people (single layer). Maybe one day I can get $100 for a sheet cake that size (fingers crossed).

AuntieV2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieV2010 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 26

Would they ask a niece or nephew to perform surgery, pull a tooth or paint a house for free if that was their profession? I don't think so. Don't feel guilty. You have learned your lesson.
Next time (if there is one) state up front that you will be charging and give them your regular price then what you will charge them.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 26

No..It is for a single layer but you get more than 24-36 servings for an 11x15 cake.I charge $2.00 a serving plus I torte and fill the layer.I charge more because they are also a big cake and hard to handle,factor in boards,boxes,materials etc and take more icing and I try and add more embellishments than just a regular slab.

Here where I live a single layer cake starts at $24.99 for a 9x13 and goes up from there from the large grocery store chains.Then you have to pay extra for any kits etc...I may charge double but my cakes are better and I spend more time on them (not just 15 minutes)so I feel the price is fair for what they get.I know it depends on the geographic location and the economy as some areas can't support certain prices..I am in a big city so my prices are at par with other custom cake decoraters.

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 26

Every year my sister expects me to do cakes for my neice's and nephew's birthday. I'm not a professional ( I just love baking/decorating...missed my calling) Anyway she never offers to pay. Not that I that I expect her to pay for my time. Just the cost of ingredients, they add up icon_eek.gif Especially when I'm make sheet cakes. Sometimes I just wonder what goes through cheap peoples head icon_confused.gif

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 26

I'm in a similiar situation - my sister in law asked that I do her son's birthday cake...and not a simple cake - that Tom & Jerry cake! I want to do it because I've never done that cake, and it seems like a good challenge. But, I go back and forth about charging because it is family. My husband insists that I charge her...and she is his sister. I think I will just charge the cost of making it and maybe a couple bucks extra...

I dread when family ask me to do any type of cake for them icon_sad.gif

cvgonz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvgonz Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabarena

I'm in a similiar situation - my sister in law asked that I do her son's birthday cake...and not a simple cake - that Tom & Jerry cake! I want to do it because I've never done that cake, and it seems like a good challenge. But, I go back and forth about charging because it is family. My husband insists that I charge her...and she is his sister. I think I will just charge the cost of making it and maybe a couple bucks extra...

I dread when family ask me to do any type of cake for them icon_sad.gif

Ohhhhh! Don't get me started! I've just been commissioned (without pay) to make a quinceanera (15th birthday) for my cousin's daughter. I thought it was a simple birthday cake. She wants 4 tiers. fondant, glitter, bling, etc. $$$$ I was "voluntold", if you know what I mean. Cousin was not too happy when I suggested that she at least pay for some of the items such as fondant....I've baked all my life, but have made the mortal mistake of creating some good-looking cakes (Not Great, just good) and bang! I've got people (non-paying), (friends, relatives, friends of friends) who want freebies. I think I'll beg off and quit baking all together. I've got no paying gigs!

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:23pm
post #13 of 26

From the start I charged immediate family for ingredients and extended family got a 25% discount. I tell them what I would normally charge and then show them how much they saved. Worked good until this year when my SIL decided to stop paying me even for ingredients. I don't know how to approach that situation, other than eat it, I guess. icon_cry.gif

So, I guess my point is, you are not alone! icon_smile.gif

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 26

I've decided the only person who will get a free cake is my mother. She's almost 90, and she deserves it. Everyone else will at least pay ingredients or more.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #15 of 26

When dealing with family it's always a good idea to ask what their budget is upfront. That way they know they are paying and it's not a freebee. The last cake I did for family she paid me a little more than twice the cost of ingredients, but the ingredients were $91.00. It was only a 10" cake.

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #16 of 26

Just like Ricky Ricardo would tell Lucy, "Never Do Business with Friends and Relatives"........They always expect something for free, especially if it's cake, cookies, cake pops, cupcakes, etc.......

Really, the only ones I give FREE cake to are my DH's employee's when they are hired and have a B-Day. Anything outside of that, no freebies..

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:05pm
post #17 of 26

My SIL wanted to know what I would charge for a two tier cake with lots of pretty flowers for her side of the family's family reunion. I normally don't charge my immediate family for cakes; not even ingredients. In this case, I was going to charge $1 per serving and this cake would be for 75 people. Apparently it was too much so they decided to get a cake elsewhere. Oh, well! It hurt and was a bit insulting but what do you do?

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:25pm
post #18 of 26

My immediate family is charged cost and I donate my time. (We farm, so the BIL's volunteer to drive tractor at harvest for us for free, one BIL takes our family pics and doesn't charge a sitting fee, so the "free" time thing comes back to us in other ways.) Extended family and friends pay full price. No exceptions. And I do write an invoice for family that says what normal price is so they know what a good deal they got. Some pay the ingred price and some round up and give me a tip as a thank you. Just depends which family I'm baking for. One SIL gripes about having to pay cost, but everyone else is very considerate of my time.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoochic

From the start I charged immediate family for ingredients and extended family got a 25% discount. I tell them what I would normally charge and then show them how much they saved. Worked good until this year when my SIL decided to stop paying me even for ingredients. I don't know how to approach that situation, other than eat it, I guess. icon_cry.gificon_smile.gif

You are the one who is deciding not to get paid if you let her get away with it. It is also your choice to say no. "Gee I'd love to, but the time I put in to make a cake is crazy and the ingredients are getting so expensive, I really can't afford to do it unless I'm compensated...but gee, I'll still give you the discount!" Then stick to it. If she goes elsewhere, then one less thing for you to worry about! Don't be a doormat! thumbs_up.gif

adamsmom Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoochic

From the start I charged immediate family for ingredients and extended family got a 25% discount. I tell them what I would normally charge and then show them how much they saved. Worked good until this year when my SIL decided to stop paying me even for ingredients. I don't know how to approach that situation, other than eat it, I guess. icon_cry.gificon_smile.gif

You are the one who is deciding not to get paid if you let her get away with it. It is also your choice to say no. "Gee I'd love to, but the time I put in to make a cake is crazy and the ingredients are getting so expensive, I really can't afford to do it unless I'm compensated...but gee, I'll still give you the discount!" Then stick to it. If she goes elsewhere, then one less thing for you to worry about! Don't be a doormat! thumbs_up.gif

I like what you said carmijok, I'll have to remember that! icon_lol.gif

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #21 of 26

[quote="carmijokYou are the one who is deciding not to get paid if you let her get away with it. It is also your choice to say no. "Gee I'd love to, but the time I put in to make a cake is crazy and the ingredients are getting so expensive, I really can't afford to do it unless I'm compensated...but gee, I'll still give you the discount!" Then stick to it. If she goes elsewhere, then one less thing for you to worry about! Don't be a doormat! thumbs_up.gif[/quote]

In this case, I did the cakes in June, under the impression I would get paid like I have for the 40+ other cakes I have done for her. I did get referrals at that party, so maybe she thought that was my compensation? Ha! Ha!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:49pm
post #22 of 26

I have been pretty lucky so far when it comes to baking for the family. I made my cousins bridal shower and wedding cake this year and it was supposed to be my gift. My aunt said to keep all of the receipts and she would pay me back. Well she paid the cost of the materials and still gave money to my mom for the labor. I told her that it was supposed to be my gift and she wouldn't listen. Now I feel bad because I never purchased a gift for either event. UGH.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:06am
post #23 of 26

[quote=
In this case, I did the cakes in June, under the impression I would get paid like I have for the 40+ other cakes I have done for her. I did get referrals at that party, so maybe she thought that was my compensation? Ha! Ha![/quote]

So go to her now with a written invoice and say 'I'm so sorry I forgot to give this to you after the party...I know you've probably been wondering about it. Time got away from me!"

What's she going to say? 'I thought it was free?' How could she, when she's paid you for other things? She may actually think she's already paid you, or she may just be hoping you'd 'forget'. This is a gentle reminder that you didn't!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #24 of 26

ConnieJ - I feel your pain! I offer to do all my niece's and nephew's wedding cakes for FREE and have not been asked to do my nephew's cake next month! It stings a little! His bride is not overly friendly to his (our) family and wears the pants in their home so I kinda expected it! But it still hurts a bit!

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

ConnieJ - I feel your pain! I offer to do all my niece's and nephew's wedding cakes for FREE and have not been asked to do my nephew's cake next month! It stings a little! His bride is not overly friendly to his (our) family and wears the pants in their home so I kinda expected it! But it still hurts a bit!

i totally understand that!!! i am so sorry! and whether or not she likes it...she is marrying into the family! how rude!

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:27pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

I've decided the only person who will get a free cake is my mother. She's almost 90, and she deserves it. Everyone else will at least pay ingredients or more.

I love that! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%