Apply Fresh Flowers To A Cake????

Decorating By mandirombold Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 2:30pm by BlueBirdBakery

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 3

Ok so this is the most stupid question ever but how do I apply a cascade of flowers to a wedding cake? I need it to start at the top and wrap down the side. Please help.

2 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 3

The only stupid question is the one not asked!!! And that is definately not a stupid question!

If they are fresh flowers, Wilton makes flower spikes that you would put the flowers in and stick the spikes in the cake, you never want fresh flowers touching the cake. Make sure that they are pesticide free (ask the florist). Wrap the stems of the flowers in florist tape before putting in the spikes.

If they are silk flowers, I would make the cascade first then just gently lay it on the side of the cake.

BlueBirdBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBirdBakery Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 3

I have been a florist for 20 years, and finally decided to make the jump into cakes. When I had a cake with fresh cake flowers that were to trail down, I made them into more of a garland or long corsage. That way I had less insertions into the cake. I also used wooden cake dowels, skewers or lollipop sticks and wrapped my stems with floral stem wrap before attaching my flowers. I never liked the thought of poking the flower stems or wires directly into someones frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%