Help I Am Making My Nana's 80Th Birthday Cake

Decorating By mouse13 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 7:16am by step0nmi

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:16am
post #1 of 9

So I said I would do my nana's 80th birthday cake, and we decided on doing a carrot, white, and chocolate tier cake. My aunt wants me to do all the frosting in cream cheese, because that is what goes on carrot cake and she wanted all the tiers to match. I have never made a cream cheese frosting. So I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe. My second question is would cream cheese go good on white and chocolate cake?
or should I do two whites and a chocolate for the tier cake and make a carrot cake on its own that way I can do cream cheese for that one and reg. buttercream for the tier cake?

Thanks in advance.

8 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:17am
post #2 of 9

there are a few cream cheese frosting recipes in the recipes section here, as for cream cheese going with chocolate cake and white cake.... =/

you may be able to get away with it on white cake.. but i dont think it would be great with chocolate. but thats just me. i just got lectured because apparently my mother think lemon cake witha strawberry cream filling would be grosse. so maybe i have weird taste... lol

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:56am
post #3 of 9

I fill with cream cheese icing, I never frost the outside with it. For me it's too soft, too hard to get smooth. I just tell people you can't have it on the outside, but I'm happy to fill with it.

I use SMBC or white ganache on the outside if covering with fondant. SMBC smooths like a dream, and it's a mild not too sweet icing.

mouse13 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:13am
post #4 of 9

So I am better off doing a white and chocolate cake for the tier and than do a carrot on the side?

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 9

There are a few cream cheese icings on this site, sorry I don't use them that people use and have claimed success. Like many, I don't have the best of luck with cream cheese icing, are far as getting it smooth, etc. So I use in to fill, and ice with something else.

It's your cake and you can do whatever you want. Make up a practice batch of cream cheese icing and see how you like it. I would even crumb coat in cream cheese, but still finish in a swiss meringue. I doubt anyone would notice. By the way I love cream cheese and chocolate, I think it goes great with lots of cakes.

Q-Squared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Q-Squared Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 9

I second tinygoose -- I think cream cheese is great with chocolate or white. But then again, I love it on anything!

If you're still afraid it might not taste right, why not cover your cakes in fondant (so they all match) and have whatever flavor icing you want underneath the fondant. And if Nana doesn't like fondant, she could just peel it off and have delicious cream cheese (or buttercream, or whatever) underneath.

So your cakes match and everything is yummy. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me! icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #7 of 9

there is a crusting creme cheese recipe here on CC....this would be good to decorate with but you would still have to refrigerate the cake.

also, I love creme cheese frosting with anything LOL...it goes great with chocolate cake icon_biggrin.gif

mouse13 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:15am
post #8 of 9

Here is the cake I would love to make, would it be okay to cover in fondant and still do the little drop strings?

I think I will do it it all in fondant that way I can do three different flavored icings. Do you thing the chocolate will bleed through the white fondant?
LL

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:16am
post #9 of 9

wow! this doesn't look like an easy cake! if you want to cover them in fondant you would have to do a thin layer of icing first in order for the fondant to stick on the cake.

some of your information about the icings I don't understand...sorry. if you are feeling like you don't know what you can do as far as creativity go with what you know and everyone should be happy with that icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%