Wilton Classes....

Decorating By KayMc Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 9:51pm by BORIKS03

KayMc Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:34am
post #1 of 11

I just started course #2 tonight. The products by Wilton are fairly disappointing. I bought this rectangular flower press for what Wilton calls a button flower. Man, I hate everything about it! You need really thick fondant in order for it to work, so the completed flower just looks cheesey. I'm disappointed that Wilton doesn't offer more realistic flowers to be made.

I also bought and used Wilton fondant for the first time for the class,and I don't know what all the talk is about it tasting good now. It doesn't! It's just sweet. The fondant is really super soft, which was a surprise for me. I just wish these classes had more of the realistic flowers. icon_sad.gif

10 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:55am
post #2 of 11

Course 2 isn't meant to have realistic flowers. It's more the quick & easy for the beginning decorator.

The more realistic flowers come in the Fondant & Gumpaste course because gum paste is a better medium for that type of decoration.

I haven't tried those presses. They got poor reviews when they first came out. They seemed to gimmicky to me. Looking at the website, they do look like they need to be quite thick in order to get the texture.

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Fondant-Cut-Press

You'll find other ways that you like better. The classes are just exposure to methods and ideas.

Have fun!
Rae

MamaScooby Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:01am
post #3 of 11

I took all four courses from Wilton. You will start doing other flowers. You have to learn to walk before you can run. The classes are fundamental classes. After you finish them then you can find local people who give classes for other things besides what you learned from Wilton. I have learned alot from watching tutorials on YOUTUBE from Edna. How to do a perfect rose, the calla lily, the orchid. There are so many tutorials, you will become a pro in no time. I wish you all the luck in your classes. I loved them.

Cake_Bliss Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:05am
post #4 of 11

I watch alot of the youtube videos and bought how to books and practiced making flowers and roses. It helps quite a bit.

KayMc Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 11

I guess I've been doing this backwards. I'm in the process of teaching myself gumpaste flowers, and have made some pretty decent ones. It feels like a huge step backwards to do the button flower press in the class. I will keep my trap shut, and learn what I can from a lovely instructor. I was hoping for something in depth, and I guess that's not what this class is for.

TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 11

The fondant/gumpaste flowers in the Flowers and Cake Design are to introduce you into fondant. Not all flowers are all about being totally realistic.

I actually think the button flower is cute. I've seen some cute cake pictures with it. Is it a thin dainty flower? Nope, but not all flowers are.

Not everyone is going to like the taste of fondant, to me even more don't like the texture of it.

LindaF144a Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 11

I took the class. While I am not a fan of the button flower, I not as disappointed as you are I guess.

But I would like it better if it was rolled thinner. I can't remember exactly, but I believe we used the thickest guide when I would have preferred the thinner guide. And maybe using it without the gumpaste, then it would taste better to.

And as far as the taste - the sweetness is the good part about it. Before it tasted chemically. At least sweet is an improvement.

TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 11

You roll it a 1/8th of an inch thick, using the purple o-rings. If you roll it any thinner the impressions won't show up on it.

The gumpaste is to help it dry faster so it will hold it's shape. icon_smile.gif

To me neither the gumpaste or fondant taste bad, they just really don't have a taste. You can flavor the premade stuff if you want to.

LindaF144a Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 11

TexasSugar - That's the ring we used. I honestly believe it dried a little bit thicker.
And neither my DD nor I could get our impression to show up, no matter how hard we pushed. We liked the look without it just as much as with the impression.

And we did sneak a taste the next day too. icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 11

When you pushed to do the impressions, did you leave it on the table or pick it up? I have had better luck picking it up and really squeezing all around.

Plus if you are rolling it out on the practice board you want the o rings on the board and not on the table, it will roll out thinner if you do that.

BORIKS03 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 11

I think the Wilton classes are great for beginners. I learned alot. I was bummed though cause now they came out with new stuff. I guess I'll have to learn them on my own.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%