Decorating By justkist Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 12:00am by awatterson

justkist Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:59am
post #1 of 11

OK. I have admired so many cakes with BEAUTIFUL lettering and thanks to the great CC'ers actually responding to peoples questions I have just learned they are the products of Tappits. But my question now is what in the heck is a tappit? I gather that they are cutter-LIKE but not cutters.

Can someone post pics of tappits and even their use? I just found some for sale from my fave E-tailer for $9.95 and that made me think that there is something else I need to buy to use them in/with. Is that true? It there a tappits THING and then you buy kits/cartiridges/somethings or are tappits just tappits!?!!?

I want to order these (if they are what I think) to have them in time for a cake next week if they are as amazing as I hope they are.

10 replies
awatterson Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:04am
post #2 of 11

They are letter cutters and you don't need anything else to use them. Several letters come on a row attached. I love using them because my writing on cakes it not great.

This is a great tutorial on youtube.

Kibosh Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:05am
post #3 of 11

Tappits are similar to cutters except they come in a strip with multiple letters on them.
Try: http://kitchenware.goldaskitchen.com/search?w=tappits&asug=

i find their easier to work when using gumpaste, but others may feel different. Since my piping skills are quetionable, I love using them.

Hope this helps!!

awatterson Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:07am
post #4 of 11

I have done it with plain fondant and fondant that I add tylose to and I think that it works better with the tylose mixed in.

Kibosh Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:16am
post #5 of 11

[/quote]I have done it with plain fondant and fondant that I add tylose to and I think that it works better with the tylose mixed in.


I tried using regular fondant and found they stretched. i haven't used tylose before, does this make fondant easier to work with for molding as well?

awatterson Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:20am
post #6 of 11

I know this sounds labor intensive, but when I do my letters I cut out little wax paper squares and then I cut a square of fondant and put it on the small square and then I cut the letters out on each square. I let them dry before moving them just to make sure that they don't stretch. I am sure that someone else may have a better idea, but this works for me.

The tylose makes it dry faster like gumpaste.

justkist Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #7 of 11

SOLD! Going to place my order! I was just worried that there was something I didnt understand and that $10 would only buy me one part of what I needed and would be unpleasantly surprised when I got the shipment. Can not wait to try these... My writing BLOWS!!!

awatterson Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:37am
post #8 of 11

Just remember to roll your fondant/gumpaste really thin. It does take a little bit of practice, but I love them a lot better than my writing. Good luck!

awatterson Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 11

I have to correct my earlier post about the fondant and tylose. Tonight I just tried fondant alone with the tappits and rolled it super thin and I had the easiest time with it. I have never cut letters out so fast. The trick is rolling it super thin.

justkist Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:58pm
post #10 of 11

Mine just came in today. i have to say having a place that delivers in 24 hours is dangerously addictive. Camping all weekend but will test and report back when I do a cake next Tuesday!

awatterson Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:00am
post #11 of 11

Where in the heck is that place?

Quote by @%username% on %date%