Now Why Didn't I Think Of That!

Decorating By Doug Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 12:05am by Peridot

Doug Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 16

I have those metal wire shelves like these:
http://www.target.com/Commercial-Shelf-Garage-Wire-Shelving/dp/B001E99QK6/ref=br_1_13?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&qid=1278977603&searchView=grid5&sr=1-13&node=13988041&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&rh=&searchSize=30&id=Commercial%20Shelf%20Garage%20Wire%20Shelving&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin

(tho' I didn't pay that outrageous price)

and of course stuff gets hung up on the wires.

Well, today I'm at the pet store buying more to pamper my new dog and I noticed they had the same shelves but not the same problem with stuff getting hung up on the shelves.

Reason: vinyl carpet runners cut to fit to cover each shelf. Uh DUH!

15 replies
CWR41 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:01am
post #2 of 16

Sam's Club has those for $78 but they have 6 shelves instead of 4.

I don't remember who sells them with the shelf liners included, but they're a clear-ish green opaque colored plastic. (mainly used when you don't want small things to tip or fall through the wires.) I believe they are hard, unlike the flexible carpet runners. I also think they're available separately online.

I don't know what type of things you've had get hung up on the wires--the tops are smooth, but the cross wires below could cause some damage to something like bags of stacked flour, etc. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what "hung up" meant. Where you losing things through the cracks? So... what'cha gonna do with 'em after you insert the flat surface? Just wondering if you had a plan for a new purpose, or using it for dog supplies!

Doug Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:43am
post #3 of 16

the one's I have I bought for under $40 and they didn't come with shelf liners. The 4 shelves instead of 6 has not been a problem as the stuff I have is bulky enough that I wouldn't even use the 2 extra shelves.

and yes, things like edges of "stuff" (boxes, storage containers, tools, camping gear, cake equipment, suitcases, etc.) likes to not slide smooth on or over the shelves.

So, since they came sans liners I've been looking for something that would be "good enough"

and while, I grant you that vinyl carpet runners will not be as stiff as true liners, they are readily available, fairly inexpensive and very easy to custom fit to the shelf.

repurposing is a good thing.

I'm just annoyed with self that I didn't think of it myself -- after all, theatre techies are trained to repurpose.

----

OH PUHHHHLLLLLEEEZE -- some one save me -- not even a week and already looking for all kinds of stuff for the dog!!! Tho', she isn't that choosy -- took her to PetSmart today; showed toy after toy. Nope -- not interested. Now that super expensive all natural dog food that comes in what looks like a hamburger meat log sure got her attention!

Amazing how fast you fall into spoiling them!

Unlimited Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:27am
post #4 of 16

Funny... I just bought three used ones (for $100). They are 6-shelf units and I only need 4 shelves each, so I was hoping to remove two shelves from each, reattach the extra remaining shelves between the three, and have one long a$$ rolling shelf! (the plan didn't work because most of the shelves wouldn't come loose no matter how much banging with a rubber mallet--they've evidently been loaded to the point a little beyond the tapered clips.)

Anyway, I repurposed one of them for use right in my home kitchen. I stole the set design idea from Cupcake Wars! I bought lots of glassware and filled them all with candy and stuff you'd use for making gingerbread houses, etc.!

dchockeyguy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 16

Doug,

If it's the stuff I think you're talking about, we bought a big roll of it at Costco. We needed it for our pantry, because it has those cheap wire shelves in tehre, and small things, like packets, like to get caught and fall down. IT's a great thing to have!

Doug Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Doug,

If it's the stuff I think you're talking about, we bought a big roll of it at Costco. We needed it for our pantry, because it has those cheap wire shelves in tehre, and small things, like packets, like to get caught and fall down. IT's a great thing to have!

thanks for the heads-up on finding it.

But, really, REALLY, getting annoyed with where I live....

despite Fort Bragg being in the backyard so to speak, missing SO many conveniences like Costco, Steak-n-Shake, PetCo, Fuddruckers, Ikea, etc.

Maybe when the upper echelon finally arrives in late 2011, more of these businesses will locate here unless they take the attitude that we should all have to drive 2hours to Raleigh or Charlotte.

cakes47 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 16

Good luck with your new ''puppy''!!! Have lots of fun!!!!!!!!!

cylstrial Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks Doug! I have the same shelves and the same problem of things falling thru! I'm so glad that you shared the fix with us!

TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 16

I have those shelves and mine did come with the liners, got it at Sams.

The liner reminds me of stencil 'plastic'.

Doug Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:34pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Funny... I just bought three used ones (for $100). They are 6-shelf units and I only need 4 shelves each, so I was hoping to remove two shelves from each, reattach the extra remaining shelves between the three, and have one long a$$ rolling shelf! (the plan didn't work because most of the shelves wouldn't come loose no matter how much banging with a rubber mallet--they've evidently been loaded to the point a little beyond the tapered clips.)

Anyway, I repurposed one of them for use right in my home kitchen. I stole the set design idea from Cupcake Wars! I bought lots of glassware and filled them all with candy and stuff you'd use for making gingerbread houses, etc.!

wd-40???? that's my first answer for anything that is stubborn.

(liquid wrench might be overkill)

nannykaren Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 16

What did you name your new puppy? icon_smile.gif

Elcee Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:40pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

OH PUHHHHLLLLLEEEZE -- some one save me -- not even a week and already looking for all kinds of stuff for the dog!!! Tho', she isn't that choosy -- took her to PetSmart today; showed toy after toy. Nope -- not interested. Now that super expensive all natural dog food that comes in what looks like a hamburger meat log sure got her attention!

Amazing how fast you fall into spoiling them!

despite Fort Bragg being in the backyard so to speak, missing SO many conveniences like Costco, Steak-n-Shake, PetCo, Fuddruckers, Ikea, etc.

Doug, off topic but my daughter is a trainer at a PetSmart...sooooo no loss on not having a PetCo, if you have a PetSmart you got the good end of the stick icon_smile.gif. May I also suggest training classes for you and your pooch? Even if she doesn't need basic obedience it's a really fun activity for dogs and their parents to do together; the trainers are extremely knowledgable on things like nutrition, grooming, breeds in addition to the training and it's a great way to get/keep the dog socialized. icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I have those shelves and mine did come with the liners, got it at Sams.

The liner reminds me of stencil 'plastic'.

well, cheapo me was too stubborn to pay Sam's price, esp. when Target and Aldi's had sales on them dirt cheap.
Stencil plastic? does it come that wide? for now runners will probably do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannykaren

What did you name your new puppy? icon_smile.gif

see this thread for name and PICS! Must shamelessly show her off!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-687420-pene.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Doug, off topic but my daughter is a trainer at a PetSmart...sooooo no loss on not having a PetCo, if you have a PetSmart you got the good end of the stick icon_smile.gif. May I also suggest training classes for you and your pooch? Even if she doesn't need basic obedience it's a really fun activity for dogs and their parents to do together; the trainers are extremely knowledgable on things like nutrition, grooming, breeds in addition to the training and it's a great way to get/keep the dog socialized. icon_smile.gif

well, when shopping online I've found PetCo handles a few products that have been recommended to me that PetSmart doesn't carry. The PetSmart near me (30 miles) is nice tho' Pene is extremely bored when in it--well until we go by that ultra premium high end dog food!

Yes, I'm looking for some kind of training, thinking agility. She is already very well mannered. Heals, sits, stays on command and treats most other dogs she's met so far as "BORING" -- talk about aloof! Very much a people dog and not a dog dog. She pulls hardest on leash when there are people and children that she thinks might pet her. My biggest challenge so far as been getting her to stay standing while being groomed; she prefers to lay down on her side: "Pamper me!"

Sadly my town doesn't have much for dogs, not even a dog park so will have to travel 30+miles to have play dates and other interaction for her.

So far she makes a very good foot warmer!

costumeczar Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:45pm
post #14 of 16

Uh, you could also cut pieces of cardboard to fit the shelves and just lay them on top of the slats icon_wink.gif

nanahaley Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm
post #15 of 16

Doug,

What about those flourescent light diffusers? The kind that fit in the drop ceilings. They are flat and would be sturdy enough with the wire underneath. You can find them at Home Depot or Lowes. Hope you have one of those close to you. Good luck with the puppy!!

Peridot Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:05am
post #16 of 16

I have a wire shelf unit in a storage closet and I had plexiglass cut to the size of the shelves. Durable, thick enough for heavy items to set on, wipes clean and see through as it is clear.

I hope you know what I mean by plexiglass it's not glass but a plastic that looks like glass as it is clear it is some what rigid but still has some flexibility.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%