Newbie Needs Some Help!!!

Decorating By eatcake09 Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 1:21pm by TheBlonde

eatcake09 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 10

I feel silly asking these questions but I have to find out sometime... What is MMF and MF?? I always thought it was marshmallow fondant...then I read some posts and they were calling it Michelle Foster or somthing, now I'm confused.

How do you make chocolate fondant? I've been making marshmallow fondant.

And I've read people using marzipan (*spelling) What is it? Can you make it or need to buy it?

What works best for making decorations that will be hard?

9 replies
yummy Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 10

Hi eatcakes09. MMF is marshmellow fondant and MFF is Michele Fosters fondant. She has flavor variations listed after the instructions.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

Rhonda's Ultimate MMF is delicious and I believe she has a chocolate flavor.

I don't know anything about marzipan, sorry.

Gumpaste for hard decorations, or 50/50 fondant/gumpaste (more elasticity more time to work, straight gumpaste dries fast) or you could use fondant with tylose 1 tsp at a time til it feels right. Make your decorations at least a week if not longer ahead of time to make sure they'll be dry when you need them. Figures take longer to dry than flat pieces.

MessMaker Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:42am
post #3 of 10

Thats great advice Yummy. Welcome to CC eatcake09!

Cindy619 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #4 of 10

Aren't all the acronyms hysterical? It's like CCers have their own language! I love it! Of course, there is still one acrynom that I have yet to figure out, and I know when I finally figure it out I'm going to feel pretty dumb icon_wink.gif

luvbuttercream Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:54am
post #5 of 10

Marzipan is made with almond paste it can be used the same as fondant and tastes like almond. These are made with marzipan:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Marzipan_critters.jpg

and here is a recipe for marzipan:
http://candy.about.com/od/nougatmarzipancandy/r/Basicmarzipan.htm

I made pumpkins with it once and they tasted good!

katibeth88 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #6 of 10

I read somewhere that you can just add Hershey's cocoa to the melted marshmallows at the same time you add any other flavorings. I did this a couple of times and it not only makes a tasty chocolate, but a pretty brown color as well.

Cake_Bliss Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:10am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

Aren't all the acronyms hysterical? It's like CCers have their own language! I love it! Of course, there is still one acrynom that I have yet to figure out, and I know when I finally figure it out I'm going to feel pretty dumb icon_wink.gif

Which one haven't you figured out? I come across some that I can/t figure out and will be like goodness what am I not getting! When I first started I would see DH and be like what in the world could it stand for. LOL! Some have the underline and I can roll over it and it will tell me so thats awesome. icon_lol.gif

CWR41 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:54am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

If you don't want to ask about the one you can't figure out, just point your cursor over it and a pop-up window should appear.

Edited to add: Ops! Sorry, I see Cake_Bliss already responded. That's what I get for walking away from the computer for too long before I refreshed the page! (did it twice today!)

Cindy619 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 10

Ha - I never realized you could scroll over some of them. It's funny you mention DH, because that was the one I've been trying to figure out! I knew the H was for husband, but couldn't figure out the D!

TheBlonde Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:21pm
post #10 of 10

The D in DH can stand for a couple different things depending on if you are mad at your husband or not icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%