What Would You Charge?

Business By yoktom Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 4:37am by yoktom

yoktom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yoktom Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 7

I made this cake recently for a friend's daughter's 17th birthday. I am not charging for the cake as we are doing it in trade (she babysits my 5 children for me on occasion...but very infrequently).

Because I wasn't planning on putting a price value on this cake - I didn't track hours spent or dollars spent. (I know, bad business practice.) HOWEVER, I now have an order for a similar cake for a Halloween party in October...they just want to know pricing...

Any input?

I know I spent about 12 hours decorating, the pieces are made of chocolate (Wilton candymelt recipe) and the interior cake is chocolate and strawberry with strawberry buttercream.
LL

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 7

sizes?

yoktom Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 7

Gracious! That would help wouldn't it? That's what I get for writing a post and trying to keep my 11 year old and 8 year old from beating each other up....when does school start again?

The bottom layer is a 10" x 6" and the top is 6"x6".

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 7

I kinda thought it looked like a 6/10.

I don't get involved (in detail) in too many pricing threads, but I think this one is a little unique because of the design. I'll offer my thoughts on the thought processes *I* would go thru to get a price, but with any pricing, you'd have to know your costs, labor and expected rate of return for your area.

A 6" tall cake is 50% taller than a standard 4" tall cake, so right off the bat, my per-serving price is 50% higher. Being fondant-based cake, my fondant rate was $4.50/serving x 1.5 (to make it 50% higher to cover the 50% more cake per serving) = $6.75/serving.

A 6/10 square serves 18/50 = 68 servings x $6.75/serving = $459.

Before you gasp at $450 for a cake, remember ..... this cake is big enough to serve 68 people (that's a small reception!) with pieces of cake that are 50% BIGGER than what these 68 people would get at a reception.

On top of that, this cake might qualify for what I called my Design Fee. This fee was added on to any cake that had some minutely detailed work, such as the roof effects, etc. This could be anywhere from $75 to $300, depending on the size of the work, materials, etc.

Hope this gets your started out on the thinking process on setting pricing. thumbs_up.gif

yoktom Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 7

indydebi -
Thank you! I was thinking along the 450.00 lines as well, and you are right, I was thinking that was a lot - but not out of line...it did afterall take me approximately 12 hours and that was AFTER baking.

I've read several threads on here about pricing - and responses from folks. I think that's just gotten me a little shy about setting a realistic price. For instance, I quoted $75.00 for a Tortise cake (serves 40 ish) carved but a bit larger than a half sheet (and a lot taller considering the dimensions) and the customer almost choked. I just don't want to second guess myself - I think it makes me sound unsure of my abilities.

Thank you again! I appreciate your thoughts on the topic!

Tamara

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:34am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoktom

For instance, I quoted $75.00 for a Tortise cake (serves 40 ish) carved .......

I used to tell people, "Carved cakes start at $150 and that's before I even pick up a pencil to get an idea of what you want."

yoktom Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:37am
post #7 of 7

I think I just need to have you stand behind me and force me to charge appropriately icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%