Chocolate Buttercream With Ganache

Decorating By stampinron Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 7:28am by sweettreat101

stampinron Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 9

I use Indy's recipe. I've added ganache to it for chocolate buttercream fillings, but not for the exterior of a cake. I wonder if anyone has, and if so, did it crust?

8 replies
soph917 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 9

I have added ganache to IMBC, and then used it as a chocolate buttercream to frost a cake. It crusted. Not sure about Indydeb's recipe though.

stampinron Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 9

and IMBC is not a "crusting" buttercream, is that correct? What was your ratio of ganache to bc?

mamawrobin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:32am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph917

I have added ganache to IMBC, and then used it as a chocolate buttercream to frost a cake. It crusted. Not sure about Indydeb's recipe though.

It crusted??? IMBC is NOT a crusting bc. How did it crust? just very curious about this.

To the op. No I haven't. I add melted chocolate to mine and since I had so much ganache this past weekend I was tempted to do the same but because I wasn't sure whether or not it would crust I didn't. If you do end up adding the ganache would you please post the results so that we will know whether or not it will. I would love to have used the ganache in my buttercream but I depend on the crusting too much to be able to smooth my icing that I didn't want to risk it. icon_lol.gif I am very curious about this though.

stampinron Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 9

Alright, here is my experiment so far....

Made the setting ganache this morning using semisweet chips in a 2:1 ratio.

I made a large batch of Indy's buttercream icing filling my 4 1/2 qt KA. I do modify the recipe a little 'cause it crusts so fast on me and I am a slow worker, so it is more of a 1:1 ratio of shortening to ps.

So I began adding the ganache to my buttercream. At 2 cups ganache I smeared some on my cutting board and let it set a minute or two, then tried to smooth it with my finger and then a paper towel. It crusted fine. Added another 1/2 cup ganache to the bc. A little slower to crust, but still smoothed with the paper towel. That is where I stopped, simply because my mixer is filled to the brim and cannot handle anymore. I do wish the color were darker though. It is a light brown, not nearly as dark as I had hoped for. Well, I'll keep experimenting and let you know. I will not be frosing the cake for a few days, so will let you know if there are any changes on a real cake vs. my cutting board.

mamawrobin Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:50am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinron

Alright, here is my experiment so far....

Made the setting ganache this morning using semisweet chips in a 2:1 ratio.

I made a large batch of Indy's buttercream icing filling my 4 1/2 qt KA. I do modify the recipe a little 'cause it crusts so fast on me and I am a slow worker, so it is more of a 1:1 ratio of shortening to ps.

So I began adding the ganache to my buttercream. At 2 cups ganache I smeared some on my cutting board and let it set a minute or two, then tried to smooth it with my finger and then a paper towel. It crusted fine. Added another 1/2 cup ganache to the bc. A little slower to crust, but still smoothed with the paper towel. That is where I stopped, simply because my mixer is filled to the brim and cannot handle anymore. I do wish the color were darker though. It is a light brown, not nearly as dark as I had hoped for. Well, I'll keep experimenting and let you know. I will not be frosing the cake for a few days, so will let you know if there are any changes on a real cake vs. my cutting board.

I make chocolate buttercream using Indydebi's recipe all the time and it is DARK in color. I use UNsweetened Baker's chocolate squares 6 to 8 ounces per batch, melted and cooled, but still pourable. I make the recipe as always and add the chocolate after it's made. I always have to add extra milk (I do use half and half) because the chocolate makes the icing thicker but I add only a teaspoon at a time so that I don't risk adding too much liquid and alter the "crusting" abilities of the icing. This chocolate icing will crust and smooth the very same as the original recipe so I think I'll stick to this since it does produce a darker shade of brown than adding the ganache.

Thanks for posting your results. thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:28am
post #7 of 9

I make toba garrett's chocolate b/c , adding ganache. IT is delicious and it does crust. I would surely think indydebi's recipe would crust also, because of using the dream whip.

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

I make toba garrett's chocolate b/c , adding ganache. IT is delicious and it does crust. I would surely think indydebi's recipe would crust also, because of using the dream whip.

The Dream Whip isn't what causes the crusting. It is the sugar to fat ratio.

When I first read the OP I was thinking, Toba Garrett's icing. I have never tried it but I knew it was a ganache to buttercream icing.

sweettreat101 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:28am
post #9 of 9

Toba Garrets butter cream recipe it's the best and it does crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%