Beach Ball Cake

Decorating By Mom_Of_4 Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 4:18am by Monirr04

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 5

I had someone email me a picture of a beach ball cake. Basically the beach ball is sitting on top of a 10 inch cake. My question is how would I secure the ball on the cake? It seems like it could be fairly simple but since it is going to be two halves that makes me kind of nervous. Any help, pointers, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 5

Sharon Zambito (Sugarshack) did one and explained it. Check her site. icon_smile.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 5

Not sure how Sharon does it but I had to do this once with a disco ball that sat on top of a 6" inch round and a large bottom tier. I used the wilton ball pan and baked half in cake and formed the bottom half of the ball with RKT. Used a cardboard circle inbetween the RTK half the the cake half (top part of the ball). Covered in BC and then fondant. To secure the ball to the 6" round I used a dowel rod inserted int he RTK half and then into the 6" round. It worked great and I even drove the cake 23 miles to its destination this way and no problem. Made it in one piece.

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:45am
post #4 of 5

When I make the ball, I usually bake both halves and then put them together with buttercream in between. I don't use a board between them. I then freeze it overnight.

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #5 of 5

I have made several and put them on round cakes and 9x13 cakes. I use the Wilton ball, bake both halves, put them together with buttercream and then let them set. I secure them on the bottom cake with a dowel or bubble tea straw. One thing i do is cut a small part of the bottom of the ball to make a flat surface. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%