Cake Boxes!

Decorating By lyonsbr Updated 6 May 2011 , 1:43pm by lyonsbr

lyonsbr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyonsbr Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 7

I've been wondering where in the world do I get cake boxes big enough to fit 2+ tiered cakes? I usually keep the cake in the fridge until I take it to the destination (I always decorate either the night before or the day of), and then send a regular box for them to put leftovers in. The problem that I run into with this is I have to have someone or myself hold the cake while in transport, which can be tricky because I have no kids and my husband is in med school and is not always here. If I had the cakes in boxes, I could much easily transport. So, my questions are; where can I buy, can I buy in bulk, and how expensive are the boxes??

6 replies
dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 7

i use a regular box, but only close the lid partially and tape it in that position, then tape a piece of cling wrap to cover the front.

another way is to use two boxes. place the cake in one with it left open, and slide that box into another box, the opposite direction, pullup the two lids to make a peak and tape clased. It looks like a tent when you finish, this is great especially if it's raining and if the client is taking the cake and transporting it themselves, it's pretty sturdy.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 7

uhaul or any moving supply will have large, tall, heavy duty boxes.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 7

I buy brown shipping boxes from Walmart in the office supply section. They have 10", 12" 14" and 16" squares and even bigger I think. the 10" is 10" tall and the 14" is 14" tall. They are all under $1.00. I tape the bottom as usual and cut down two corners so one side folds out and I can slide the cake in from the front. Lift up the flap and it's perfect.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:22am
post #5 of 7

Several suppliers carry the Bakery Crafts delivery system boxes (they look like this, and come in several sizes along with extenders for the lids):

http://bakerycrafts.com/Home/Items/tabid/69/SrchStr/box/Default.aspx

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #6 of 7

I always found that the easiest way to deliver a stacked cake in on the seat and not holding it. If it has a large base, I don't put it in a box. I will leave a box for extras just in case. Just make sure the seat is leveled...I use a wooden board to level the seat.

lyonsbr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyonsbr Posted 6 May 2011 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 7

The walmart boxes are beyond PERFECT and SUPER cheap! Thanks for the advice!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%