Decorating By zaco Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 1:25am by chellescountrycakes

zaco Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 4

Tried searching the forums and didn't find what I was looking for.
Anyway I am working on a Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey cake. Really just wanted to practice some sculpting. I'm almost done him and pretty happy with him considering. Just need to wait for some petal dusts to arrive in the mail.
I found this cake: http://cakelava.blogspot.com/2008/12/fantasia-wedding-cake.html and am wondering how they got the water effect. I don't want my waves to look exactly like that since I'm just doing a 6" cake, but I like the look. I was thinking of royal icing and then painting it? I'm just not sure royal icing is the right stuff to use, it will be my first time making it. Is butter cream a better option?

3 replies
chellescountrycakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #2 of 4

I didnt try to load the pic (sorry, dial up sucks) but I can tell you how I did the white cap waves on my 'summer is here ' cake (kids feet sticking out of the water with a dock and lots of grass)- I mixed blue gel color into piping gel. THEN for the 'waves' I whipped in some white buttercream icing. I saw them do it on cake boss and it really did work icon_smile.gif

zaco Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the tip, I like the way your water turned out. I may use it for another cake, but for this one I'm looking for something that will harden and stand up. Look kinda choppy and rough.

chellescountrycakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:25am
post #4 of 4

You can make piping gel do that- it actually did on this cake, not a whole lot, but there was some. but it was hard to capture on film. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%