Has Any Customer Every Commented That Your Cake Too Sweet?

Decorating By mandy79 Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 11:51pm by dozenredroses

mandy79 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 11

I made a cake (chocolate, cheesecake and carrot cake) with crusting cream cheese icing and convered it with fondant. The customer liked it but commented that everyone thought it was too sweet. What do you do in a case like this. A recipe is a recipe right? How do you make your cake less sweet? Just asking for future reference

10 replies
JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 11

Hey mandy, I haven't had that comment but recently I tried an all butter buttercream and someone made the comment "It taste like butter"... errrr... okie dokie! icon_razz.gif

Were these three tiers and they thought all of them were too sweet? that is odd O_o

Elcee Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 11

I never understand what people mean by that...it's cake! If you don't want something sweet then get a BLT!

mandy79 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 11

my thoughts exactly, and whenever I am not in the mood for too sweet, i just dont eat the icing...but oh well

moralna Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 11

I get that sometimes and I am look at them like - you do realize it's cake right? But I guess I know that they mean the buttercream is too sweat. In the winter time, I usually use Swiss Meringue BC, but in the summer time - no way. I use Sugarshack recipe, which I think is not too sweet and very creamy.

mandy79 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 11

and jae, it was all three layered together.....may sound weird but they taste GREAT together!

foodguy Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 11

I have to say that this was one of my pet peeves when we had the bakery!
"Do you make an icing that isn't sweet?"
Nope.......thats the formula that we use.....its icing, and its supposed to be sweet!
If you don't want sweet buy a loaf of bread........

JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 11

Well it sounds amazing! I have heard people say that about cheesecake layered with other cake but uh, it's cake! And cheesecake too, YUM! :]

metria Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:32pm
post #9 of 11

perhaps they meant it was too rich? i dunno. sometimes i wish we had a vocabulary page for these kind of things.

costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:44pm
post #10 of 11

It could be that it was too rich, but the combination of crusting cream cheese icing and fondant can be pretty sweet. I don't like cream cheese icing with confectioner's sugar in it, I think it's too sweet and sticky. I put cream cheese in IMBC and you get the cream cheese flavor but not the sweetness. So I think that it is possible for something to be too sweet...

dozenredroses Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 11

I got that comment on the car cake I made. It was pistachio cake with buttercream filling. I attributed to two factors; 1. I used a pistachio pudding in the mix to get the flavor. 2. The customers nationality may not be familiar with American cakes. I was disappointed to hear the comment but everyone has different tastes I guess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%