Have You Applied? New Cake Boss Reality Series On Tlc...

Lounge By tomswife Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 1:24am by brea1026

cakebuds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebuds Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:44pm
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by brea1026

Sadly I didn't get the call for the show. =0( I am still hoping that other CC member made it though!

You were one I was sure was getting picked! I guess we have no clue what they were looking for.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:02pm
post #32 of 43

Is there any confirmation that they've actually started the casting? Maybe there's still a chance for people.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:04pm
post #33 of 43

I didn't get a call back about final casting either. So they've chosen already, then? As for the prize being an apprenticeship, I already have a bakery, and don't live near enough to apprentice there so that wouldn't exactly be a great prize for me to compete for anyway. Hmm. Interesting. All I know is that when I watched some of the other videos, there was one in particular that had me shaking my head. One of a lady cooking in lingerie and saying that she was going to turn on her oven, only to turn around and light the stove. icon_confused.gif ...I said right then that if that person was chosen over some of the more talented people that had entered, we'd know the type of show they were casting and it might not be something we'd want to be involved in anyway.

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #34 of 43

I saw a couple of videos like that, too. I can't believe people actually have the *ahem* guts to send that in.

And yes, the casting people have a FB page and they confirmed the final 20 were contacted for the final interview. They will then choose 10 from that group.

When I told my hubby what the prize was he said, can you throw the competition and take 2nd? I had to laugh. You would learn a lot but it would be hard for any business owner to leave his/her shop for a few weeks for the opportunity. I know it would be here.

I think many did/do it for publicity of their shop. Lord knows I thought the same. Get the word out (for free) about my little shop.

I am excited to see who made it and what the show is about, though.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:05am
post #35 of 43

That definitely wasn't the competition for me then. I have no desire to go work for free somewhere when I already know how to do the things they do there. Nor would I want to have to leave my family for longer than the 5 weeks they said in the interview (and even that was gonna be tough!). I'm sure there will be other shows that are more up to what we were hoping it'd be. I saw they're also casting bridezillas who hate their wedding cake to be in the show too, so that the new "team" can create one to try and make them happy on their wedding day. That doesn't sound like anything I want a part of!! LOL!! I hope the chosen people have a good time on the show, and maybe it'll give them some publicity if that's what they were wanting. It kind of sounds to me like they're setting people up to be humilitated and berated by people though. tapedshut.gif I hope not though.

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 5:10am
post #36 of 43

I thought they said you need little or any pastry experience...

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:54pm
post #37 of 43

I expected them to choose somebody who needed polishing and was looking to own their own business. Anxious for the show to air!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:27pm
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry1030

Quote:
Originally Posted by _christina_

Nope, not I either but I pretty much figured after I saw many of the tapes. I sent in my first and only take with no cakes except a very short slide show.

I'm excited to watch, though. Honestly, I do wonder what they were looking for. As the grand prize was an apprenticeship at Carlo's Bakery. If they chose someone with YEARS of experience and a flourishing business I can't think they would take that apprenticeship as a 'prize' but I may be wrong...in fact, I am probably dead wrong, huh? icon_wink.gif

I didn't get a call either but I was wondering about this too - why would an experienced baker with their own shop want to work at Carlo's? I could see doing it for the publicity I guess, but I thought it was going to be more of a 'learning show'. Guess we were both wrong! My tape was horrible, certainly didn't have a producer or anything. I cringed after seeing the others! Oh well, hopefully there will be a season 2 to audition for...

which video had a producer?

_christina_ Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:35pm
post #39 of 43

I think if you watch some of the videos, I can think of three off the top of my head, they hired or had professional videopraphers filming and 'directing' the shoot. Then they cut it all together to make a magical and entertaining video.

You can tell the ones who just had a friend with a video camrea, which many were, but a few, it's obvious.

More power to em' and I hope it helped them to get chosen.

momma28 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:52pm
post #40 of 43

Well I fear one of those videos you may be talking about was mine. However my husband was working so my friends 18 yr old son who is into movie making jumped at the chance to "help". He spent hours playing with it and cutting things together. I was blessed by his offer and thought it came out great. Definately not hired though and it was really more about him letting him stretch his creative wings than me having some amazing video.

Doesnt really pay to jump to conclusions about motivations or people trying to buy their way to a better audition video. I was quite confident in my caking abilities and would have been fine with my hubby shooting an unedited video of me working but alas he was on shift icon_sad.gif, just happen to have a techie friend.

_christina_ Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:51pm
post #41 of 43

I say more power to ya, Momma! Honestly, if I had a friend with capabilities I would use it.

Unless you are a young, single woman in her early 20's (which you are not) or a gentleman (which you are not), I am sorry, I am not talking about your video.

And I don't think it buys you anything. It just makes it more entertaining to watch when you have people who know what to do, do it. Kind of like cake. I don't think a professional video gets you any closer to a spot than a home made video as there are a few people who did have professional looking videos who did not get chosen for the final round.

momma28 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by _christina_

I say more power to ya, Momma! Honestly, if I had a friend with capabilities I would use it.

Unless you are a young, single woman in her early 20's (which you are not) or a gentleman (which you are not), I am sorry, I am not talking about your video.

Hey how do you know im not in my early twenties icon_wink.gif LOL (dont I wish) I am actually quite relieved as I didnt want that perception to be on me. I tried my best not to even watch the other videos so I had no idea to what extent (editing) you were talking about.

Happy caking icon_smile.gif

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:24am
post #43 of 43

There were a few really impressive videos on there. I can't even watch mine, so maybe that should have clued me into the fact that I wouldn't get chosen. =0(

It will be interesting to go back and watch the auditions once the contestants are named to see if it really did have anything to do with the quality of the video. My guess is that it didn't, and that the producers of the show are just great at their jobs and can tell from any quality of video.

I did want to say that I appreciate the kind words many of you have sent to me about not getting chosen. I know it is not my time, but I am just going to keep trying. I wish I could figure out how to apply for a FN challenge....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%