Quick! Cc - I Need Your Help With Cake For A 6 Yr Old Boy

Decorating By tsal Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 7:36pm by djoyce

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I've been planning my son's cake for a few months now - it's due August 1 for the party with his friends and it's a killer whale cake.

However, my family is getting together THIS Wednesday (his actual birthday) and I was just going to make a plain chocolate cake, but now I'm thinking about decorating it a little. It was just supposed to be my immediate family but now the grandparents are coming and since I'm known as the family caker, they'll be expecting something decorated!!

So, it will be a chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I was thinking about making fondant ants and covering it with them (I guess I should make a round cake? ). He loves all things creepy crawly!

Ideas? I would be most grateful!

7 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 8

I think the ants are perfect for a little boy! I can just see him wanting the slice with the most ants!

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 8

there are some cute bugs made with M&M's (mini, plain, peanut) and candy melts in the book Hello Cupcake.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 8

Oh i've made a few killer whale cakes...lol..they are skinny fish (ok mammals). It's in my pics. Let me know if I can help with anything.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 8

Tinygoose - your killer whale cake was awesome!!! I also noticed that you made a 3-D Elmo (which I'm planning to make for my youngest son's bday in November). I might pm you about that since your Elmo was flawless.

The killer whale will be make of RKT and he will be 'jumping' out of a pool (which will be the sheet cake underneath - less complicated!!!!)

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 8

Make it an "Underground Cake"

You could put some grass on top and have some of the ants tunnel down the sides. You could even have an anthill on the top. The sides of the cake would be "what's happening underground"

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much. PM me anytime, always happy to share. I have pics of elmos structure somewhere. PM me and i'll track them down if you want.

djoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djoyce Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 8

The M&M website has the bug ideas too. Have fun! Gummy worms are great too coming out of the "dirt" aka oreo crumbs!

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%