Complete Fondant/cake Stacking Crash Course

Decorating By glitty Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 2:41am by BlakesCakes

glitty Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 4

Hello cake friends, just wondering if anyone has some information on a complete course on the basics of fondant, stacking and cake boarding. I have learned some tricks, have watched several videos and have done a few cakes for my family. My artistry and detail work far exceed my basic knowledge. I have posted pictures of my recent cakes and have gotten so many requests to do cakes. The problem is I lack the fundamentals, and I'm terrified to do a cake for a customer. I would love to learn everything I need to know, but the Wilton class at Michael's never has enough students to keep the class open. I've heard Wilton doesn't provide the best instruction. I would love any input, advice or information. I need a crash course! Thanks for reading!!!

3 replies
Jenn2179 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 4

I hate to say it but that is an awful lot to ask for. If you do some research here on CC you should be able to find everything you need. Also before selling cakes you need to determine if it's legal to do that from your home where you live.

MrCake01 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 4

glitty,
I'm a Wilton Instructor in Alabama. The classes depend on the teacher, not all teachers are bad. If you are afraid of taken classes try the books on your own. Wilton just came out with a new curriculum which is great and will give you some help. Also there are many instruction DVDs out there that will help. Also look for Seminars in your area, for example where Im from there is a seminar being given by a winner of TLCs Ultimate Cake Off.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #4 of 4

I think you heard wrong. Many of us started with Wilton classes and, yes, it can depend a lot on the instructor, but for the most part, the classes are very very helpful.

That said, if you pick up any recent Wilton yearbook, you'll find a section in the center that includes instructions on stacking cakes, fondant work, and specialty decos.

Heck, go to wilton.com and have a look around there--tons of info from how much batter goes in a pan to cutting guides.

Google cake decorating dvds and you'll find tons.

Just read the forums on CC for the next week when you have the time and you'll probably find most of what you need, too.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%