Great News For Michigan Home Bakers

Decorating By AngiesIdea Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 1:04am by Jaimelt76

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 12

Granholm is signing 2 new laws today that will allow Michigan homebakers to do the following: Baked goods, jam and jellies, candy, vinegar, dried fruit, herbs and mixes made in your kitchen could all be sold publicly provided they are properly labeled to reflect that they are homemade and identify all ingredients under guidelines provided by the state.

THIS IS AWESOME FOR SO MANY BAKERS IN OUR STATE icon_biggrin.gif I might even get back into it!!! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:30am
post #2 of 12

whattttttttttttttttttttttttttttt? does this mean we can now bake and sell from home????

TheCakerator Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #3 of 12

ok I just googled the new laws, but it doesn't say anything about home inspections. Do you think we have to set that up, or do you think from tomorrow on out we can start baking and selling so long as it's labeled?

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #4 of 12

My understanding is we do not have to have a home inspection. If say a customer thinks our home is dirty they can complain and have the health dept. come and check it out. I wish I would of saved the website I found this on.
Does anyone know if we can advertise though?

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:09am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelt76

My understanding is we do not have to have a home inspection. If say a customer thinks our home is dirty they can complain and have the health dept. come and check it out. I wish I would of saved the website I found this on.
Does anyone know if we can advertise though?

hmmmm not sure about that. Its seems like we should be able to. I guess? Better check into it further. icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:15am
post #6 of 12

yahhhooooo!

jcasey51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcasey51 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 12

It doesn't say anything about advertising or not, just no internet or mail order sales. So I'm assuming I can use the internet to advertise, but sales must be made in person?

Home inspection is definitely not required, but proper labeling is required. I just found this helpful labeling guide.

http://michigan.gov/documents/mda/MDA_CFLblngGuide-MASTER_327559_7.pdf

chachagyrl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chachagyrl22 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 12

I something about this on NPR. They said that you total sales for the year cannot excees 15,000. I didnt get to hear the whole broadcast. I'm really excited nonetheless.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 12

So if I'm understanding this correctly, if I make a cake for someone and put a label on the box of all the ingredients, I can sell it legally?

Jaimelt76 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

So if I'm understanding this correctly, if I make a cake for someone and put a label on the box of all the ingredients, I can sell it legally?

Yup, if you live in Michigan. The bill was signed by Granholm on Monday.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:19am
post #11 of 12

There are other threads on this topic and they really have the details, links posted, and lots of good information.....However I can never find anything in particular when I am looking for it in here sooooo, I can't give you the link to it!! I know I am excited about this law, opens up a lot of opportunities for us.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%