New To Icing, Best Piping Set To Buy

Decorating By mrsfullam Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm by MrCake01

mrsfullam Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 8

I am new to this forum and fairly new to baking, i recieved a basic piping set as a wedding present but have out grown it already.

My new husband would like to buy me a more advanced set for my birthday, are syringes the best why forward? I like to do lots of different colours, techniques etc so would be greatful for some suggestions.

Thank you xx
p.s I love this site! and it is addictive......

7 replies
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 8

I use couplers and plastic bags.

As far as tips go, my opinion is better off starting with a small mixed set then adding to it with individual tips. In my opinion it is better to have serveral of the tips you use alot (especially if you like using alot of different colors with the same times on the same cake) than it is to have every tip made.

I have two of the sets from Wilton, the small and larger tip sets that come in the white cases, and in my 10+ years of decorating there are many of the tips I have never used.

Which tips you want mutiples of will depend on which tips you use most for things. Me, I don't think you can go wrong with having a varity of round and star tips as well as petal tips. But when you get into the speciality tips you'd probably find many of those a waste.

MrCake01 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 8

Welcome to CC mrsfullam,
Your comment about syrings kinda throw me off. Im assuming you want to decorate with buttercream type icing. What is the name of the set you received for your wedding? There are several sets out there. has several from a few dollars to $150.00 that would be good starting kits. Also its hard to say what kit to buy. Different techniques require different tools. I would start by getting one of the Wilton kits and maybe some technique books. The more techniques you attempts the more tool you will need.

3GCakes Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with TexasSugar, some of the tips in those kits are not used frequently.

I would buy a box of disposable 12 inch bags, a bunch of small couplers, and several round and star tips, plus a 1M tip (if you are looking at Wilton).

My most frequently used tips are 3, 21, 104, 67, and 1M (mainly for cupcakes). Any other tips I use are either smaller or larger versions of these tips. The only "odd" tip I use very frequently is the grass tip (can't remember its number).

mrsfullam Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you for your suggestions, just one thing what are couplers?

mrsfullam Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 8

Wilton is such a great site, i have learnt lots already. Do they deliver to the UK? if not where can i buy their piping sets?

Thanks x thumbs_up.gif

MrCake01 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 8

I looked on the Wilton site and if you select an item below that there are some hyperlinks and one of them is "Need to ship outside the US?" It will give you some International Distributors. Another thing you can do is to google "cake decorating" and you will find a lot of sites for cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%