Before Delivering The Wedding Cake.....

Business By Dreme Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 6:25am by catlharper

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 8

when is the best time to gather info? When do you call and arrange everything with the wedding planner? When they book the cake with you? The week of the wedding? What questions do you ask? When is the best time to show up? During the ceremony time?

I'm a bit worried as this is my first time delivering a wedding cake on my own as well as staying to cut the cake. At the time when I booked the cake I did not consider asking them who will be serving thier cake. They didn't have anyone to cut it and the food was being served buffet style so im wondering if they have someone to serve it as I will not be doing so. Do people with buffet style weddings hire servers or just eave the cake on the table for thier guest to pick up?

I know as a cake decorator I should know this stuff. I have only delivered two wedding cakes in the past but they were for family. Both had hired servers to pass the cake out and my mom was helping me. I'm freaking out a little bit.

Very nervous and stressing about how everything will go.

7 replies
Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 8

I include information about the reception site, when I can get in and who will "accept" the cake at the time the bride signs the contract. Sometimes they have to get back to me with the information, but I try to get that thought into their heads immediately.

Also, I state in my contract that I do NOT cut the cake. However, the last wedding I attended, the bride did not plan on someone to cut the cake and I got nominated to do it. Not fun! Try to get out of that responsiblity if at all possible. icon_smile.gif

HTH!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 8

when they have their planning meeting is when I fill out my info sheet.
Things I ask:
Photographer
Florist
Reception Hall
reception coordinator's name and number
when will the hall be open
where do I put it
What else is on the cake table

the week of should be a reminder form emailed to them- stating when you intend the cake to be there (I do between 1 and 4pm), how many people it will serve, and what, if anything, needs to be returned to you, the baker. This would also be a good time to remind them that you will be cutting the cake, but not passing it out to the guests.

For a buffet, usually the guests can come back up and get their cake. I wouldn't worry about passing it out. That is not what was agreed upon- its just not practical.
Good luck, and remember that when you are there serving the cake, as long as you look professional, the bride and groom are going to be too wrapped up in their day to notice you, so relax and enjoy basking in the praises of your cakes- and bring business cards!!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 8

Logistically I don't think it's practical to cut the cake and bring it around to the guests. I would inform them that you are only there to cut the cake and you will either put the plates on the table for guests to help themselves or servers need to bring it to the guests.

I hope you charged a fee for staying to cut the cake thumbs_up.gif

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you! I think I got everything else ready. I got my brown chef coat and apron, my large dca pink tote bag packed with some of my cake kit items, the cake plateau, and a baggie with business cards. Its not until next Saturday but I have been adding any extra things to the bag as I remember them.

I'm just nervous about cutting the cake in front of people and having them come up asking questions and distracting me while getting their slice of cake. Id rather cut in the back somewhere. I'm very shy and dont talk much. I also can get a bit irritated and socially awkward when someone distracts me. I'm worried about this too as I have very bad anxiety attacks.

I think I'm no longer going to offer this service as it just seems too stressful to deal with. I'm going to leave it up to the couple/coordinator/caterers. I did it just to help a few couples out and make some extra cash by being there. Its just me running this business and I need no extra stress.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 8

Acknowledging up front that I'm a big ham and LUV being on stage, I luv'd cutting the wedding cake in front of a big crowd! Many people (at least around here) view that as part of the 'entertainment' at the wedding because they marvel at watching someone successfully cut a wedding cake.

In my signature is a link on how to cut a cake. Print it off and take it with you.

As a caterer who also provided the cake, I cut most of my cakes. I'd cut pieces of cake, which would be on the cake table, and then I'd ask the DJ to announce, "The wedding cake has been cut, you are welcome to help yourselves at any time!" Those who want cake, would come up and get it. Did it this way for years with no issues, no complaints, no problems.

If you're charging for your time, I hope you're charging in the neighborhood of $25/hour, 4 hour minimum. You dont' charge just for the time you spend cutting the cake.....you charge for YOUR TIME that you have to spend sitting around around waiting for them to be ready to cut the cake.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:20am
post #7 of 8

And Indydebi didn't mention it this time, but i've seen her say it many times before. Get the bride and groom to do it before Dinner is served or right after.... don't let them wait until after dancing etc... get them to cut it as soon as possible so then you can cut it and it can actually be dessert.... not cake later on in the night. (also will get you home quicker)

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:25am
post #8 of 8

Find out as much information as you can and note it on your contract that you have the bride sign. When you get the final payment (this is one month out for me) I always follow up with questions about the venue and if they have worked out where the cake table will be, if there is a contact person/number for me in case the venue is not open when I get there, what time I can show up, etc. If she doesn't have all the info chances are she has the venue info and I can just call them and find it all out.

As for cutting...I adore weddings...seriously, I would stay and cut the cake for free but I don't. Most of the time they have a caterer on site who will do it so I don't stay. Sometimes they will decide that it's best for a family/friend to cut the cake (almost always a mistake) and sometimes they decide my nominal fee is worth paying to not have to worry about it. I don't ever ever serve the cake. It goes onto plates for servers, or whichever bridesmaid pony's up for the job, to pass around. Oddly enough, while I go pretty much ballistic if someone is watching me decorate a cake, I have no issues being in the spotlight cutting one! LOL!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%