Cake Pricing

Decorating By psychmom Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm by JaeRodriguez

psychmom Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 5

Please humor me... I'd like opinions on pricing the few cakes I have in my photo album. All the cakes are white cake with added color for fun - everyone loves it and seems to add just a little something to the cakes icon_smile.gif
I only make cakes for friends and family - recently some friends have wondered if I should venture into this hobby a little deeper - trying to get an idea on pricing.

TIA icon_smile.gif

4 replies
JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know what you should charge, I'm a hobby baker now and not in your area. Have you checked around at local places to see what they are charging for simliar cakes? That's where I would start if I were you.

For example, some places sell a cupcake for 6 bucks, my state- no way that's happening!

DeeDelightful Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 5

See what other bakeries in your area charge per serving. Decide if you want to go below or above them.

TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 5

How much does it cost you to make one of the cakes?

JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 5

Good point TexasSugar! And I betcha Debi or Leah_s will be here telling you to add in your cost for all your overhead too, and someone else will ask if you can legally sell from home where you are! icon_razz.gif I only do it as a hobby but if you search this topic you can pretty much see what factors you need to look at to decide what you should be charging for your cakes!

Btw, I love the zebra cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%