What Is Best To Use For A Standing Silhouette?

Decorating By smokeysmokerton Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm by rainbow_kisses

smokeysmokerton Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 5

I was planning to use mmf, but I needed black and by the time I'd finally gotten the color right, the consistancy was all wrong. Way too dry and brittle. Would it be better to use fondant with tylose? Modeling chocolate? Wilton gumpaste?

I'd also be grateful for any info from anyone familiar with the process of making a silhouette. I've traced the image onto cardboard backed with wax paper and cut it out with an exacto to use for the template. Is there a better way?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 5

If you had a cricut you could cut it out..Otherwise the exacto knife is about the way to go...

squeaky121603 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 5

Try kneading small amount of tylose powder into your fondant. Roll it out thin and let it sit for approx. 5 minutes. Then cut it out with the exacto knife and it should have clean edges. Each time you pull the knife out of the cut, wipe it with a damp cloth and then continue.

smokeysmokerton Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the replies. I would love to have a cricut cake, but at this point I'm stuck with the exacto icon_smile.gif

One more question: I've had trouble with my fondant trying out when using ps and I've read that others use a thin layer of crisco for rolling it out--will this effect the way the finish product dries?

The cake is for my nephew, and while I must've told him a million times that I'm only a beginner, I really want to make this great for him. I really do appreciate the help.

rainbow_kisses Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 5

If you are using black then shortening is the thing to roll out on, will leave it clean and no residue to clean off. I would either use fondant with tylose or flower paste as they will both dry hard and stand up well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%