Make Modeling Chocolate??

Baking By megan81 Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 1:30pm by ddaigle

megan81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megan81 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:05am
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I'm fairly new too cake decorating and over the weekend was at a party where some of the decorations on the cake where made from modeling chocolate? Can someone please pass on a recipe for it? What sort of things can you make from modeling chocolate or can you really make anything?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:28am
post #2 of 8

1 bag of candy melts...melted in the microwave on low heat. After melted. add one third cup of corn syrup and stir til it comes together. Spread out on wax paper to dry and harden. Your supposed to wait 24 hrs. before you use it but I have at times put it in the refrigerator till it firmed up and used it, but it will be softer. It can be used for lots of things. I've made trees, deer antlers, characters, I've also used it to fill in the gaps of decorations made with rice krispies to smooth out before covering with fondant.

megan81 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:53am
post #3 of 8

Thanks! I'm from Australia so these would be just our chocolate melts wouldn't they, if you know?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:59am
post #4 of 8

hi, i use 16 oz. merkens chocolate. Melt that in micro wave on low heat. Then add 1/2 cup lite corn syrup or glucose. Stir. When it starts looking funny, pour on wax paper. Leave overnight. Break up in smaller peices and roll in to little logs .Wrap with saran wrap. Put in freezer bag. I make all kinds of beautiful flowers(large or small) roses, orchid, etc. Some people cover their cakes with it. I haven,t tried that yet, but will soon. hth This guy named jing uses glucose in his recipe. I take his demos at ices convention. He is great. He says using glucose makes the modeling chocolate stronger. mari stenago does beautiful flowers,etc. at ices convention. She is great also.

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:26am
post #5 of 8

so i have a question.. after you let it sit overnight and it hardens, so you just knead it like fondant and roll out and use?

megan81 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:42am
post #6 of 8

also how long does it keep for and how do you store it? DO you just store your chocolate decorations in the fridge?

hockeymom5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeymom5 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, I would like to have the answer to those questions also.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 8

I store mine in a sealed plastic container. After awhile it still gets hard, but the warmth of your hands will soften it. I have had it for a month or so and it is still good. I treat it like fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%