Feeling Stuck (Kind Of Long Sorry)

Decorating By sugarbabys Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 5:02am by Texas_Rose

sugarbabys Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:45am
post #1 of 2

I have been baking for friends and family for the past year and seem to have a gift for creating not only beautiful cakes, but cookies and gourmet desserts as well. Sorry that I don't have pics on here as I've taken most of them with my Blackberry an can't get them to upload on this site. I just recently begun selling a few of my items wholesale to a bakery. I decided to go back to culinary school for my Baking and Pastry degree and I am anxious to put my name out there and go through the proper channels to do business legally.

Problem is that I have to work a full time job that I don't care for just for the medical benefits and the money. I have a daughter with Juvenile Diabetes and prescriptions would cost a fortune without coverage. Also, my paycheck pays our mortgage among other things. Starting a bakery doesn't pay nearly what I make now and most places don't offer any benefits. To find medical coverage on our own for a child with diabetes would cost a fortune and paying for prescriptions and Dr visits without insurance would be impossible. My husband is self employed and so I carry the insurance on him and our three kids.

I have been working out of my home, but realize that I will need to find a commercial kitchen in order to get my health permit which is proving to be very difficult. I am using the kitchen for the bakery that I am whole selling to, however, this is only to be used for the items that I bake for them. Plus, I'm not making the money that I thought that I would baking for the bakery. My husband says to go for it and not worry about the permits and licenses right away. His argument is that we purchased our wedding cake from a lady working out of her home with no commercial kitchen. But, this makes me nervous.

The frustration and depression usually sets in on Sunday mornings when I realize that I have to go into a job that I have absolutely no passion for the next day. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to have a job given the economy, but I would love to be one of those people that wake up and say I can't wait to go to work.

1 reply
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:02am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbabys

Problem is that I have to work a full time job that I don't care for just for the medical benefits and the money. I have a daughter with Juvenile Diabetes and prescriptions would cost a fortune without coverage. Also, my paycheck pays our mortgage among other things. Starting a bakery doesn't pay nearly what I make now and most places don't offer any benefits. To find medical coverage on our own for a child with diabetes would cost a fortune and paying for prescriptions and Dr visits without insurance would be impossible. My husband is self employed and so I carry the insurance on him and our three kids.

It sounds like you've already given it serious thought and figured out that quitting your full-time job wouldn't be the best thing for your family right now.

Do you really want to open a bakery, or is it just that your friends have all been telling you that you should? I've had lots of people tell me that I should open a bakery, but I don't want to. Cakes are my hobby, which I do for fun and to relax. Making a business out of my hobby would take all the fun out of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%