Laptop Cake! Help! How Do I Stand Teh Foam Board Up?

Decorating By heartofoklahoma Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 2:38am by bvwilliams

heartofoklahoma Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:11am
post #1 of 8

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make the back part of a laptop cake, stand up. I was going to use foam board but I dont know how to make it stay up. Thank you in advance!

7 replies
bakeawish Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:47am
post #2 of 8

bamboo skewers in the foam board is the first thing that comes to mind..I just don't know if you need to reinforce your keyboard area..I hae never made one of these.

jennicita Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:19am
post #3 of 8

I used wooden boards for mine and picked up a couple metal brackets to hold the top in place at the right angle. Worked great!

Jenny

hsmomma Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 8

I used long "L" brackets and styrofoam. I just placed the L brackets underneath the cardboard of the laptop cake and then slid the styrofoam "lid" onto the bracket. It held it perfectly in place. The weight of the base of the laptop held the L brackets securely without possibility of ripping through the cake. Good luck and have fun!

thecakeprincess Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 8

both are good ideas.

jennicita Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 8

I found brackets at a 135° angle which looked a bit more natural than a 90°. Look in my pics.

icon_smile.gif

Jenny

bakeawish Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:57am
post #7 of 8

"L" brackets!!! genius!! Wow I feel stupid for even mentioning my idea now LOL

bvwilliams Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:38am
post #8 of 8

I made a laptop using a 9x13 sheet cake and so I used a 9x13 "dummy cake" or "9x13 styrofoam" for the back. I covered it with fondant and then used thick wooden skewers to attach it to the cake. It worked great. You can see a pic in my photos. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%