She's Seen It, I Can't Go Back Now....faces & Cake Taper

Decorating By tinygoose Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 7:42am by tinygoose

tinygoose Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:02am
post #1 of 18

I'm (trying) to make Ariel for my daughters 8th, at least that is the hope. She saw the structure today and knew right off what it was...super excited. I told her I would attempt it, but no promises.

This is what I have so far. I have to figure out exactly where to put the cake (checking with bubble wrap for size- bag on left is the tail--ideas for tail???). Very bottom will be covered with ocean blue or sand beige fondant wrap so not worried about that.

Ariel is one skinny chick, and she really wants the pre-wedding Ariel with the tail. So I guess my questions is how do I stack the cake tapering down. How small of a board can I work with 3", 4" then go to 6", 7"? I will have to taper from the shoulders down to the waist then the waist down to the tail. I could stop part way and make rct for the bottom of the tail.

The other problem is that my first practice Ariel head --don't laugh, I know it's horrible, I already took that one apart. She looks more like an old Lucille Ball than a pretty Ariel...any tricks for making her prettier???...The paper eyebrows were just for size, and the eyelids are missing, but ariel has big eyes, how do you do her eyes? I"ve done face modeling a tiny bit, but I always end up with old people...don't know why, and it never mattered until now. Any upside to doing it out of modeling choc? I usually use gumpaste.

I showed her the picture of Ariel and she thought if was great---she's a sweet kid, so she'd be happy with whatever, but I'd like to get the face at least pretty.

Also has anyone ever used spaghetti for hair...or sugar veil? I never thought about how much heavy hair she has.

I know it's a lot of questions. Any advise? Thanks so much.
LL
LL

17 replies
nikinoonie Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:30am
post #2 of 18

Wow...good luck with that project! I would try making Ariel a bit smaller and place her on top of a 10" round that you could just decorate with graham cracker crumbs and brown sugar to look like sand (as if she just washed up on the beach). That would eliminate your too little cake problem. Then, I would probably maker her completely out of RCT, but that's because I'm a chicken.
As for the eyes, I agree, she does look a bit startled without any eyelashes or lids. Maybe you could paint the eyes on? That way you could do light eyelids and then make sure to give her full lashes.
Good luck, and we definitely want to see pics!
Oh, I use 50/50 gumpaste and fondant, but have heard that modeling chocolate is pretty easy to work with.

kaat Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:30am
post #3 of 18

If you look at a pic of Ariel her head is more of a triangle than an oval. and the whites of her eyes are also triangular.
I think you are really close!
Good Luck with the cake and make sure you post pics!

sullymel13 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 18

I just wanted to say good luck! I'm never going to show your finished product to my daughter, because I am not as brave as you to try such a project! She is turning 5 in September, and wants a Ariel in a wedding dress, but I'm going to go the wondermold route! Have fun, and I'll look forward to seeing the finished product!

emilyg Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 18

Tinygoose, you can comb lines in SugarVeil Icing for Ariel's hair - use the "Heavy Lines" edge of the Confectionery Comb.

Another thing you can do (if you want to add a bit of curl to her hair) is to comb long waves with the comb. They will set in exactly those wave strands, and this way you can give her a 'hair-do'.

If you pipe a perpendicular line to connects the strands at both the beginning and at the end of the combed wave, it'll make it easier to pick up and place several strands at one time (you can then cut off the 'holding' line).

Attach the strands with the very slightest bit of water on the back of SugarVeil to her head (and to her shoulders, if you'd like to give her longer hair to cascade over her shoulders - I can't remember how long her hair should be).

Michele at SugarVeil

tinygoose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

If you look at a pic of Ariel her head is more of a triangle than an oval. and the whites of her eyes are also triangular.
I think you are really close!
Good Luck with the cake and make sure you post pics!

Thank you, your right, they is more triangular. Didn't think of it that way.

cakegroove Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 18

Looks like an ambitious project! Which part is going to be cake?

tinygoose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyg

Tinygoose, you can comb lines in SugarVeil Icing for Ariel's hair - use the "Heavy Lines" edge of the Confectionery Comb.

Another thing you can do (if you want to add a bit of curl to her hair) is to comb long waves with the comb. They will set in exactly those wave strands, and this way you can give her a 'hair-do'.

If you pipe a perpendicular line to connects the strands at both the beginning and at the end of the combed wave, it'll make it easier to pick up and place several strands at one time (you can then cut off the 'holding' line).

Attach the strands with the very slightest bit of water on the back of SugarVeil to her head (and to her shoulders, if you'd like to give her longer hair to cascade over her shoulders - I can't remember how long her hair should be).

Michele at SugarVeil

Thanks Michele! I love the wave idea. Her hair is long and thick, but I think it would be ok a little thinner.

Also, here's a pic of the tail I made this morning. It's 50/50 fondant and gum paste, a little thicker than I should have done, and I'm not real confident in this one, structurally.

I want to do a back up tail, I was thinking SugarVeil would look cool, and I wouldn't have to worry about breakage. How do I get it to stand up again, sandwich rice paper in between maybe? It will be visible from both front and back. Also can I score lines in it, and airbrush a little pearl shimmer on it? Also, I know lots of questions sorry, how much SugarVeil will I need, I have about 10oz left in the bag. TIA
LL
LL

tinygoose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegroove

Looks like an ambitious project! Which part is going to be cake?

The cake will be upper body, and lower body (most of the tail), I'm also thinking I will need to add a cake under ariel, probably a mound of sand type thing, the guest list is growing. I really appreciate everyones help, I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can...(yes rolling my eyes at myself) but I know I can do this, I just have to work out the "how" part.

ngfcake Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 18

Wow! This is an amazing project.

I've found some websites googling "How to draw Ariel". (Unfortunately the search: How to sculpt Ariel didn't produce any interesting results).
The step by step drawings might help you to keep in mind the proportions and the basic shapes.

http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/439/1/1/how-to-draw-ariel-from-the-little-mermaid.htm

http://www.ratemydrawings.com/drawings/cartoons/56308.html

There are others if you search google in case this approach is useful.

Good luck and please post pics!

tinygoose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 18

Thank you, the second one is great. So hard to find frontal shots of Ariel.

leahk Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:15pm
post #12 of 18

I'm impressed you are attempting such a feat!

I actually thought the first one that ngfcake posted was really helpful with the shape of the head. The forehead and eyes are part of a ball and then it branches out more to a triangle attatched to the ball for the cheeks and chin.

Good luck! This is quite an undertaking.

tinygoose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 18

Oh I didn't see that one the first time. The page initially came up blank, so i hit the mermaid tab. I saw it this time, that is helpful.

all4cake Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:06pm
post #14 of 18

I would definitely be carving it like a cone...with the big (butt) area at the bottom...making sure to core it out and add supports/boards periodically...freeze...then, invert it onto the post. and do the same thing for the upper area...

I am excited to see how you make out with it! I wish you the best!

emilyg Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm
post #15 of 18

Tinygoose, here are a few brainstorm ideas:

Hair - For that weighty hair, first comb hair-colored SugarVeil into wavy strands with the Heavy Lines side of the Confectionery Comb (make lots of strands so you can pile them up on her head). While those are setting, form a solid silhouette of Ariels hair from rice krispy treats. Dilute the left over, hair-colored SugarVeil with a bit of water, and paint the rice krispy hair form. When dry (100 degree oven would probably be of help here), arrange the wavy strands atop the painted rice krispy sculpture. This would really decrease the weight of her voluminous hair.

Tail - Melt almond bark into a tail-shaped slab, then smooth tail-colored SugarVeil into sheets. For the spines, place very slightly dampened fine rice noodles (from an Asian grocery store)under one of the sheets, and use very dry hands to pinch the sheet around the noodle "spine". Sandwich both sheets front and back over the almond bark. Let the sheets extend outside the bark, and cut both sheets together at once, which will encase the almond bark tail.

The 10 oz. of SugarVeil that you have would make about 12 square feet of "fabric". I'm not sure how much you'd use for painting, and you'd want to do a few experiments, too.

These are pretty unusual ideas, but you'd be the first to come up with these totally new techniques. What an interesting project!

Michele at SugarVeil

emilyg Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 9:51pm
post #16 of 18

Here's a shot of the "spine" rice noodle idea with SugarVeil - here I've used them to make a fan.

Michele at SugarVeil
LL
LL

GL79 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:18pm
post #17 of 18

Oh wow, I can't wait for the finished cake. Good Luck!

tinygoose Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:42am
post #18 of 18

Thanks for the info Michele, some good ideas. Well see what comes of this cake...lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%