Unwaxed Boards....???

Decorating By pammylynn Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 3:15am by pammylynn

pammylynn Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:24am
post #1 of 9

Ok, I just read on another thread that you all do not cover your boards. I can think of one occasion where I did not cover my board with parchment paper and the oils from the cake and icing seeped into my board and it looked very unprofessional.

Do you cover your bottom boards if they are not waxed?

I also have trouble with the parchment paper and tape. I cannot find tape that will keep the parchment paper stuck to the bottom of the board.

I am certain these are all very beginner questions - but I am a beginner and am wanting to give the best presentation to my cake as possible.

Thanks so much!!

8 replies
catlharper Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:18am
post #2 of 9

Cake boards...the boards that go between tiers on a stacked cake...are not seen by the guests. You can not see them under the cake till after cutting because they are exactly the size of the tier that sits upon them and at that point, no one cares...in fact, you expect to see a little moisture and bits of cake on the board to prove the cake is nice and moist.

The boards you need to cover are the ones that go under the bottom tier of a cake...the one that sticks out 2-4 inches from the bottom tier. If you just use a cardboard piece and don't cover it then when you present the cake you take the chance of grease spots due to your buttercream.

A much better way is to either buy the boards that are already covered in foil, buy foil made to cover the "presentation platform" or cover a few boards taped together or a "cake drum" with fondant and edge in more fondant or ribbon for a finished look.

Just take a look around the site and find the more polished looking cakes and see what their presentation platform looks like. You can order everything online if you don't have a cake supply store near you. Michaels Craft Stores do sell the foil but not the precovered boards or cake drums.

HTH Cat

brandiwyne Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:36am
post #3 of 9

I USE CLEAR CONTACT PAPER TO COVER MINE...HELPS ALOT

pammylynn Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 9

I'm guessing the contact paper is food safe?

Thanks so much! I'll look around in the gallery!

leah_s Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 9

Contact paper is not food safe.

CWR41 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 9

Here's a similar thread that was started right before yours last night. It discusses baseboard coverings as well as interior cardboard circles. Hope you find it helpful.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-687758-0.html

pammylynn Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks!

I missed that one!

mamawrobin Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 9

The cardboard circles that go between tiers...I don't cover those. They are made for this purpose and there is no need to cover.

The cake base that the finished cake sits o.n....of course I cover it. It wouldn't look very professional if I didn't.

And NO clear (or any other) contact paper isn't food safe.

pammylynn Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:15am
post #9 of 9

Thank you VERY much!
I appreciate all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%