Cooling/filling/stacking Cakes

Decorating By graciesj Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 2:56am by graciesj

graciesj Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:47am
post #1 of 9

Hi cake friends, I know everyone has a different way of doing this procedure and mine seems to fail. Would anyone kindly share with me their techniques? I would appreciate it very much.

I just baked a 1/2 soccer ball and two sheets of 14" boxed vanilla cakes. Should I leave them unwrapped over night or should I wrap them? Should I fill them and crumb coat them tomorrow and cool in the fridge/freezer or out? I'm covering the 14" square cakes in fondant and I've read in CC that some allow the cakes to come to room temp before placing fondant on? I'm filling the cakes with Bavarian cream. I did a no no and baked a moist cake. any suggestions will be helpful, thx gsj thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
hollys_hobby Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #2 of 9

I always double wrap my cakes in plastic wrap after they are mostly cooled. I then fill and crumb coat the next day. I never put mine in the fridge, but I don't use parishable fillings, so I don't need to. With the bavarian cream you would need to refridgerate, so it would be a good idea to let the cake come to room temp to cover with fondant, the main problem people have when refridgerating fondant cakes is sweating once it comes to room temp.

yums Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:00am
post #3 of 9

I would wrap them tonight and sit them on top of each other. Then tomorrow I fill, crumb coat and let sit in fridge until Tuesday, then ice and fondant. I think the cake mix should be fine, I've stacked 2 tiers with it and it held up well.

graciesj Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #4 of 9

[quote="hollys_hobby"]I always double wrap my cakes in plastic wrap after they are mostly cooled. I then fill and crumb coat the next day. I never put mine in the fridge, but I don't use parishable fillings, so I don't need to. With the bavarian cream you would need to refridgerate, so it would be a good idea to let the cake come to room temp to cover with fondant, the main problem people have when refridgerating fondant cakes is sweating once it comes to room temp.[/quote]

thank-you!!!!!!!my point exactly. So y put them in the fridge with the fear of sweating?!!!!!!
The cake supply store where I get the Bavarian cream TOLD me it doesn't need to be refridgerated!!!!some people aren't there to help r they? okay so, what can I use besides BAC to fill? I wish to stay away from BC because I think it'll be too much.thx againxo icon_lol.gif

graciesj Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:29am
post #5 of 9

[quote="yums"]I would wrap them tonight and sit them on top of each other. Then tomorrow I fill, crumb coat and let sit in fridge until Tuesday, then ice and fondant. I think the cake mix should be fine, I've stacked 2 tiers with it and it held up well.[/quote]

thank-you for helping me icon_lol.gif
the b-day party is @ 6:30pm tuesday and I'm attending it, so if I take the cakes out of the fridge in the p.m. and ice/fondant they should be okay once I get there sitting out in an A/C home? icon_smile.gif

hollys_hobby Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #6 of 9

[/quote]The cake supply store where I get the Bavarian cream TOLD me it doesn't need to be refridgerated!!!!some people aren't there to help r they? okay so, what can I use besides BAC to fill? I wish to stay away from BC because I think it'll be too much.thx againxo icon_lol.gif[/quote]

well, if they told you it doesn't need to be refridgerated, was it a pre-made kind? maybe it doesn't have real cream? I don't know, I have never made it, but the recipe I have for it says it needs to be refridgerated.
What about filling with ganache?

graciesj Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #7 of 9

[quote="hollys_hobby"][/quote]The cake supply store where I get the Bavarian cream TOLD me it doesn't need to be refridgerated!!!!some people aren't there to help r they? okay so, what can I use besides BAC to fill? I wish to stay away from BC because I think it'll be too much.thx againxo icon_lol.gif[/quote]

well, if they told you it doesn't need to be refridgerated, was it a pre-made kind? maybe it doesn't have real cream? I don't know, I have never made it, but the recipe I have for it says it needs to be refridgerated.
What about filling with ganache?[/quote]

It's a ready made one they get from a supplier. they don't open until tuesday so I will not know until then. I've never made ganache before, have u? icon_biggrin.gif you're so kind and btw I like your cakes thumbs_up.gif

hollys_hobby Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #8 of 9

I LOVE LOVE LOVE ganache!! icon_smile.gif It is so easy too!
For a dark chocolate ganache (use a good chocolate) it is a 2:1 ratio chocolate to cream, so for instance if using 16oz of chocolate, use 8oz of heavy whipping cream. Have the chocolate coarsley chopped in a bowl, bring the cream just to a boil over the stove, then pour over chocolate. Wait a few minutes, then stir. Let sit at room temp 12 hours before using, it should be like a peanut butter consistency. If you want to make a white chocolate ganache, it is a 3:1 ratio. good luck!

graciesj Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:56am
post #9 of 9

[quote="hollys_hobby"]I LOVE LOVE LOVE ganache!! icon_smile.gif It is so easy too!
For a dark chocolate ganache (use a good chocolate) it is a 2:1 ratio chocolate to cream, so for instance if using 16oz of chocolate, use 8oz of heavy whipping cream. Have the chocolate coarsley chopped in a bowl, bring the cream just to a boil over the stove, then pour over chocolate. Wait a few minutes, then stir. Let sit at room temp 12 hours before using, it should be like a peanut butter consistency. If you want to make a white chocolate ganache, it is a 3:1 ratio. good luck![/quote]

thank-you so much! I will let u know how it works out icon_biggrin.gif
you're very kind icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%