Dog Ate 1/2 Bag Paramount Crystals!!!

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm by Jopalis

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:20am
post #1 of 14

My Golden Retriever ate about a 1/2 bag of paramount crystals and has been vomiting all day. She acts ok otherwise but won't eat. Anyone know anything about paramount crystals and pets? icon_sad.gif

13 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #2 of 14

How big a bag???

The ingredients are:
Partially hydrogenated
palm kernel oil,
lecithin,
citric acid.

I don't see anything in it that would be harmful to an animal, but I can certainly understand why he'd vomit after eating so much fat...........

Hope the puppy feels better soon.
Rae

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:44am
post #3 of 14

well, since they're partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, with lecithin as an emulsifier, and a small citric acid as a preservative....

of course she's throwing up.

she just at a belly full of nearly pure fat!!! --- as bad as if she ate half a can of crisco.

a google search on dogs and crisco gives a few things to note:

1) yep will vomit and will probably also have diarrhea.

2) milk may help settle tummy

3) could take 2 or 3 days to fully clear up

4) watch for signs of pancreaitis -- the large amount of fats MAY cause a reaction -- tho' this is NOT a given -- just a possibility and varies by dog, by lifestyle, feeding, age, etc.

5) call vet as a precaution -- will probably just say to let it takes its natural course.

---

great -- another thing I have to watch for with my new golden! Tho' so far no signs of counter surfing -- but she can smell chicken a mile off!

---

well wishes to you and your furbaby.

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:46am
post #4 of 14

Jopalis
I spoke to my sister who is a vet tech, and she said you should either call ASPCA poison control ( there is a fee) or definitely contact your local animal emergency center, and they can advise you. But definitely call your Vet in the morning, because the fat content could cause pancreatitis in dogs. I think all Retrievers think they are goats!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:47am
post #5 of 14

I'm sure she will be fine once things have run their course. What a tummy ache. My kitchen sink plugged up so we tried using Draino didn't work so I rented a machine to unplug the drain through the main line. I go outside and remove the plug on the side of the house and I'm threading the line down the pipe and I see my dog eating the Draino crap coming out of the wall. I thought for sure she had just stripped her insides out. She vomited for a couple of days and was back to normal. I made her drink milk with vinegar to offset the acid. Thanks internet for the info.LOL I can't trust this puppy for anything. She is pure trouble.

Jopalis Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:36am
post #6 of 14

Thank you all so much. If she wasn't better by the next day I was going to call the vet. She didn't eat and then I decided to not let her eat for a day. She vomitted for about a day.... Then she was better. It doesn't even smell good. She is a GOAT. How does the pancreatitis show? She ate about a good cup of the crystals....

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:49am
post #7 of 14

She will have a loss of appetite, depression, dehydration, a 'hunched up' posture, vomiting, diarrhea and yellow, greasy stool, and usually a fever, which for a dog would be about 103ish. Just make sure she is drinking a lot. I always have Nuti-cal on hand for little emergencies. Good Luck!!

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:05am
post #8 of 14

I am so happy your dog's okay. My sister was just asking me if you posted an update on your dog. She'll be happy to hear that she's okay. I always had big dogs, and some of the things they would eat, was amazing. Now I have two little dogs. My neighbors chocolate lab just ate the inside of one of his toys, and he had to have emergency surgery. Apparently, the inside of the ball was some sort of twine, and his intestine twisted. Like I said, they think they're goats!

Jopalis Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:10am
post #9 of 14

I didn't know I had any replies to this post. Didn't get notification.... She is scary what she will eat and if I had a huge bowl of food out, or she got into the giant bag, I think she would eat til she died.... She doesn't ever seem to stop or leave food in the bowl. She's ok now. Thank you.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 14

Oh Jopalis, your description sounds like my pup. She was a rescue and had been neglected and abused. She was hyperphagic and would eat and eat and eat and wouldn't stop, ever. Once she got into the compost pile at my brother's farm after we had corn on the cob. She must have eaten a dozen ears. Of course, she vomited all the way home--I've never seen so much vomit come out of such a skinny little dog.

That syndrome is not uncommon in children who've been neglected, too. They eat and eat and eat and can't stop themselves. Fortunately, that goes away fairly quickly.

PS Glad to hear your dog is doing OK.

Jopalis Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 14

But I have had her since she was weaned and she has NEVER EVER been neglected. She just would eat and eat........... Now there were other pups probably at the same food but.... ? Think it is just something in her hard wiring...LOL

I heard that about children. My aunt had a foster child like that.... Took him a long time to stop grabbing all the food at the family dinner table. Poor guy... He had a good life after that though...

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #12 of 14

Glad the dog is okay. This makes me recall Janette Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, in one of them a dog eats 2 or 3 boxes of prunes! I laughed so hard at this story, and still do anytime I think of it again.

Jopalis Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 14

I LOVE those books and remember that one. Yeah that dog pretty much ate everything too. I have the new one on hold in the library... LOL

Jopalis Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you so much. So much good information Doug... appreciate the time and sharing of information.... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%