Film Strips With Edible Images On Cake????

Decorating By robinscakes Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 1:04am by Doug

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 10

I have a customer who would like a film strip around the border of her cake with edible image black and white photos in the strip. I've seen it done before but was wondering if someone could give me some information about how they have done it. I was thinking about placing the edible images in a black fondant cutout strip, but that would be kind of a pain in the butt to cut out (all those little squares...eesh!). Would the best bet be to create something in a program like photoshop with the photos in the film, and then just make edible image strips of the whole thing? I would like there to be a nice border around the photos and I'm not sure if just an edible image would look okay. I think if I piped the black around the edible image photos to make a border it would not be clean enough.

Really puzzled about the best way to approach this. Any help you can give would be fantastic! Thanks!!!!

9 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #2 of 10

yes, photoshop concept would work.

as for border ---

white strip with the photos on it.
then the cutout black frames laid on top.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:34am
post #3 of 10

In my race biker pic on the 2nd row of my gallery, I created all those checkerd patterns in word then printed it on an edible image. I printed it on paper first (a few times) to make sure it was going to line up right on my edible image sheet. There are so many images available via google. You should find something you like. Good luck! Now if you need to put her photos "IN" the filmstrip...then that will require using photoshop.

Doug Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:36am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

In my race biker pic on the 2nd row of my gallery, I created all those checkerd patterns in word then printed it on an edible image. I printed it on paper first (a few times) to make sure it was going to line up right on my edible image sheet. There are so many images available via google. You should find something you like. Good luck! Now if you need to put her photos "IN" the filmstrip...then that will require using photoshop.

can also be done in MS Publisher.

tho' much better results with PhotoShop.

ddaigle Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:39am
post #5 of 10

OR.....save the filmstrip image. Open word and paste the image there....insert a text box in white film strip box area and insert a picture...then get rid of the text box line. I just tried it and it works.

Doug Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:45am
post #6 of 10
Quote:

OR.....save the filmstrip image. Open word and paste the image there....insert a text box in white film strip box area and insert a picture...then get rid of the text box line. I just tried it and it works.

LOL!!!

ok now fellow tech nerd...

we better call a halt before we drown the poor gal in all kinds of skin the cat technical options.

(hmmm....I wonder if it can be done in Google SketchUp or GoogleDocs or OpenDocs...... or.....)

ddaigle Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:50am
post #7 of 10

lol...actually Doug, my way is for those who don't know or have the fancy programs. My way should make computer geeks laugh! Not calling you a computer geek.....but I've never heard of those 3 programs you just mentioned! LOL

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:59am
post #8 of 10

Robin, I did this last summer for my nephews graduation cake. I tried to make it look like a film reel and wrap around the cake. I rolled white fondant in a pasta machine to put the edible images on and then I rolled the black fondant and cut the little holes using a paper punch I found at the craft store. It cut probably 3 inches at a time.

I didn't use any special computer programs... but it turned out ok.

debbek152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbek152 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:00am
post #9 of 10

On my rockstar cake, my DH went to BING.com and found an image of a blank filmstrip. He then scanned in the pictures and edited them to fit the filmstrips. We then printed them in an edible image and I put them on fondant strips and attached them to the cake. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:04am
post #10 of 10
Quote:

lol...actually Doug, my way is for those who don't know or have the fancy programs. My way should make computer geeks laugh! Not calling you a computer geek.....but I've never heard of those 3 programs you just mentioned! LOL

GoogleDocs and OpenDocs are FREE competitors to all things Micro"serf"

GoogleSketchUP is a basic CAD program (very stripped down competitor to AutoCad and VectorWorks). Also free.

GoogleDocs and Google Sketchup are from Google of course.

OpenDocs is an open source initiative originally aligned with Java.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%