Bakers In The Us Midwest

Business By sarah5008 Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 3:23am by step0nmi

sarah5008 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:12am
post #1 of 13

Hi!

I really need some information from bakers in the mid west of the US. In my county (I live in WI) I cannot bake out of my home for profit. I have sold a few from my home kitchen. So I have to look for commercial kitchen. I haven't seen a lot of information about pricing for kitchens in smaller cities. Most posts about renting I have seen are rather highly priced.

I had thought that I would be able to rent the kitchen at my husbands work, but the person that has the say so just found out she has cancer and I don't feel comfortable pushing the subject. icon_cry.gif I think that my best option will be a church (the Ag official said that it would be my best option). What type of prices are reasonable for me to pay? Either hourly or monthly.

Can anyone help me?

12 replies
step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #2 of 13

I think the space and price all depends on what you are going to be using, how much of the space, what utilities you are going to be using. You would have to figure out your prices from there. You want to pay your overhead but you also want to make money.

btw, what part of WI are you?

jenmat Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 13

yes, where in WI are you?

step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:52am
post #4 of 13

it does suck that we can't bake out of our homes icon_sad.gif i know there are laws and everything but cities in Wisconsin make it really hard for us to succeed with a baking business. I know there was a new law passed on "pickling" but...how lame is that? lol.

step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:53am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

yes, where in WI are you?

your cake site and cakes are AMAZING!! thumbs_up.gif

jenmat Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:58am
post #6 of 13

Thanks! In my county we CAN bake out of our home, as long as it can be closed off from the rest of the house. I have french doors in my basement. Where in WI are you, Step0nmi?

step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:00am
post #7 of 13
Quote:

Thanks! In my county we CAN bake out of our home, as long as it can be closed off from the rest of the house. I have french doors in my basement. Where in WI are you, Step0nmi?

hmmm...I was told the same thing but had to have all of what you would need in an actual shop (three tiered sink and such) had to be up to standards...not really good for my area. I live in the very SW corner of WI...called Kenosha.

jenmat Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:05am
post #8 of 13

sure I know Kenosha. I'm in the Green Bay area. Yep, it all has to be a shop, but it can be in your home. We built the house right on top of it. Better than some states though where you can have it attached to your home.
I keep saying I want a real shop, but nope, I really don't want the headache! I'll just keep calling it a cake studio and people won't cringe when they have to come to my house!

step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:10am
post #9 of 13
Quote:

sure I know Kenosha. I'm in the Green Bay area. Yep, it all has to be a shop, but it can be in your home. We built the house right on top of it. Better than some states though where you can have it attached to your home.
I keep saying I want a real shop, but nope, I really don't want the headache! I'll just keep calling it a cake studio and people won't cringe when they have to come to my house!

I'm sure you have heard of Kenosha icon_lol.gif smack dab in the middle of Milwaukee and Chicago...yet, I am poor and in the county...I don't really have a house to do what you are doing. I WISH!

sarah5008 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #10 of 13

You guys are great! I'm really just starting and can't even compare to you! We live in Beaver Dam. I was told I could have a kitchen out of my home as long as it was separate from living quarters and as long as I didn't use the kitchen for family meals- yeah right! I'm only 26 and in my dreams would I have the money to do that icon_cool.gif

I'm just really worried about the money for rent. People keep saying that I could make a lot of money with my cakes, but could I? I work full time and go to school. Ideally I would like to find a place that I could pay per cake. Perhaps I am jumping the gun... all I want to do is decorate!

step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah5008

You guys are great! I'm really just starting and can't even compare to you! We live in Beaver Dam. I was told I could have a kitchen out of my home as long as it was separate from living quarters and as long as I didn't use the kitchen for family meals- yeah right! I'm only 26 and in my dreams would I have the money to do that icon_cool.gif

I'm just really worried about the money for rent. People keep saying that I could make a lot of money with my cakes, but could I? I work full time and go to school. Ideally I would like to find a place that I could pay per cake. Perhaps I am jumping the gun... all I want to do is decorate!

you could be jumping the gun slightly. icon_redface.gif it takes a while to get your name out there...my goal a couple years ago was if I was baking a cake every weekend then I would try to rent a kitchen. that hasn't happened yet and I have been trying my business for 3 years icon_sad.gif

sarah5008 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:20am
post #12 of 13

I'm thinking I should wait till I at least finish school... icon_cry.gif Only 2 years to go! I'm sort of an impatient person... or so people tell me- HA!

I'm a little nervous about not doing cakes "legally", but the guy at the AG dept that I talked to about this said he wouldn't come after me unless he had a complaint icon_rolleyes.gif LOL!! He was a nice guy. Now I just have to hope that I don't run into anyone who doesn't like me.

step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:23am
post #13 of 13

Sarah...I TOTALLY feel your pain. I was in the same position. Now I am finished with school and back to what I was doing icon_sad.gif well, I guess it's a good thing but I don't make enough money at it. people are super cheap here :p

I was told the same thing from the guy at the health dept. I mean, I know there is a bit of a big discussion on here about legal vs. illegal...but I have to do what I can do! I can't even get an interview in the industry I want to work in let alone get some cake biz going icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%