Need Pricing Help For 2-Layer Sheet Cake

Business By QueenBee1 Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 12:53am by costumeczar

QueenBee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenBee1 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:07am
post #1 of 3

I have an order for a 2-layer, half sheet cake. The client is looking for at least 50 servings. She wants 2 layers of chocolate cake, filled with a caramel frosting and covered in a chocolate buttercream. I'm planning to actually bake 2 layers and stack them instead of splitting and filling one layer.

I have already calculated my costs for the cake, but I'm wondering what I should be charging. I'm going to check with some area bakeries tomorrow, but I'm hoping to tap into the expertise of the CC members tonight.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

2 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #2 of 3

you are creating a standard 4" cake tier that just happens to be half sheet cake sized.

in any event....the pricing is the same as for a regular tier of cake.

If for a regular tier cake you charge $3/serving, then the same applies here.

you said a 1/2 sheet, 11x18 -- that already as a SINGLE layer serves 45 people a standard 2x2x2 (8 cubic inches) size serving. (9 - 2" wide rows x 5 - 2" wide columns = 45 servings each 2" tall; 2x2x2=8 cubic inches)

so if you make it a full 2 layers you have 99 -- NINETY-NINE!!! -- servings. (11- 1" wide rows x 9 - 2" wide columns = 99 servings each 4" tall -- 1x2x4 = the standard 8 cubic inches/serving)

that would be $297 @ $3/serving.

----

if she's up to be kidded -- tell her to invite 5 "i'm on a diet" friends and the rest can be cake eaters. the "i'm on a diet" friends can have the little 1" wide leftovers from a single layer that you've torted and filled and she gets a bargain by only paying for 45 servings ($135 @ $3/serving)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:53am
post #3 of 3

Make sure that she knows what size she's talking about, too. a two-layer 9x13 will serve 48, a two-layer 11x15 will serve 70.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%