I'm Embarressed I Didn't Pick Up On This Sooner...

Decorating By KayMc Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm by Debi2

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:18pm
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Who doesn't have the bottom tier on a cakeboard the same size as the cake anyway? I have NEVER put my bottom tier directly on the base to decorate it or ice it. From the time I start filling and crumbcoating that tier (and the others as well) these cakes are on their OWN cardboard circles.

Raises hand. Every single cake (bottom tier) is always directly on the cake drum.

I have to raise my hand on this one too.

I use the waxed boards and on party cakes larger that need a 10" or bigger board,i make my own drum by hot gluing several boards together and wrapping the edge with ribbon. sometimes it's just two boards up to five or so, depending on the weight of the cake. be sure to criss cross the grain of the boards as you glue them. I attach fondant cutouts or pipe directly onto the surface of the board to tie cake and the board together. On mre expensive cakes or when the white board is to stark, i cover the board in mmf.

mmf is very inexpensive to make,$1 for marshmallows and $2 for powdered sugar and a tad of shortening for kneading and it makes way more that the packages stuff icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:34pm
post #32 of 44

Ok I'm getting confused, (granted not real hard for me) So - some of you turn your cakes out directly on to the "presentation" board? Whatever that "presentation" board may be. Ok - in that case,I absolutely agree, it would be really important to use food safe coverings on the board. I always use a cake boards under cakes, even sheet cakes, so i guess that is why I didn't understand the issue.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #33 of 44

I think I'm getting convinced that fondant is the way to go. And I have TONS of ribbon here from my papercrafting, so that's not a problem, either.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:35pm
post #34 of 44

My presentation board is ALWAYS a cake drum. Those are made for cakes and certainly covered with food safe material.

Some people are using papers, foils, and such that are not food safe, therefore they must put their cake on a cake cardboard and put the cardboard onto the presentation board. That way their cake does not come in contact with the non-food safe material.

Clear as buttercreme?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

My presentation board is ALWAYS a cake drum. Those are made for cakes and certainly covered with food safe material.

Some people are using papers, foils, and such that are not food safe, therefore they must put their cake on a cake cardboard and put the cardboard onto the presentation board. That way their cake does not come in contact with the non-food safe material.

Clear as buttercreme?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #36 of 44

Joining the raised hands of naked cakers! (wait ... that didn't sound right! icon_redface.gif )

I do use the made-for-cakes foils that I buy in my cake supply store. I'll wrap a 14" round cardboard and plop my 12" cake right onto it.

I only wrap the bottom cardboard, since all other boards are the same size as the cake and have no exposure surfaces.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:08pm
post #37 of 44

Just to clarify a few things in this post for some people who might not be sure.

Things we have learned:

When a cake is placed on anything, it should be food safe, not just pretty.

When I say foil, I mean the foil sold for covering cake boards that is embossed and paper backed for strength. This generally doesn't shred like plain aluminum foil.

Cake drums are thicker cake boards (1/2" or more) that are covered with foodsafe material and often have a decorative edge. The cake drum is larger than the cake, is strong, and meant to be seen for presentation.

And, If you are ready to go, you can work directly on your cake drum or foil covered board instead of having a separate board under the first tier.

Let me know if I missed something.

Matt

PS - Leah - keep us updated on the magazine spread.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:28pm
post #38 of 44

Got it, Clear as buttercream!!!

My goodness, I sure didnt mean to ruffle any feathers just to clarify. icon_redface.gif Sorry!!!

8yrs ago my Wlton instructor always taught us to put it on a cake board, probably because we were bring the cake to class. So I just assumed (and you know what they say about that!) that was the way professional did it. I have been baking for 30 yrs before that, and, my grandmother had taught me to turn them out on a rack, cool, then to the plate or presentation board. Sorry!!!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #39 of 44
Quote:

Freezer paper (shiny side up) is a great way to cover cake boards. It is very inexpensive, pretty and so durable. That stuff doesn't even leave knife marks when you cut the cake. I also go around the edge of the cakeboard with ribbon like Texas said.

I'm not crazy about covering the board with fondant. I've done it a few times but unless it's one of my "fancier" cakes...I don't like doing it...LOL...

Mamawrobin where do you buy your freezer paper from? Can it be found at Wal Mart?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:24pm
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realLaLa

Quote:

Freezer paper (shiny side up) is a great way to cover cake boards. It is very inexpensive, pretty and so durable. That stuff doesn't even leave knife marks when you cut the cake. I also go around the edge of the cakeboard with ribbon like Texas said.

I'm not crazy about covering the board with fondant. I've done it a few times but unless it's one of my "fancier" cakes...I don't like doing it...LOL...

Mamawrobin where do you buy your freezer paper from? Can it be found at Wal Mart?

Yes...you can find it at Wal-Mart. It is by the foil, plastic wrap etc. I think it's around $5.00 for the box but it is a very large box and I have wrapped MANY cakeboards and haven't even used 1/4 of the box that I have.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:36pm
post #41 of 44

@ mamawrobin
Thanks. I will be going to Wal Mart to get some.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:04pm
post #42 of 44

One of our cake stores in town sells the florist foil but also includes a piece of clear cellophane to put over the top. He told me that florist foil has not officially been deemed food grade so they have to include the clear cellophane. One good thing about the cello it's much easier to wipe off over flow frosting then trying to wipe off the foil. Sometimes the colors will come off of the foil when you wipe.

pammylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammylynn Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #43 of 44

Matt - awesome! Thanks! It made it plain and understandable for a newbie like me!! icon_smile.gif

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #44 of 44

Leah~
Does the foil on the cake drum hold up when the cake is sliced directly on it? Just asking because I've never used one and am trying to learn all these tricks and details. icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%