Cake Boards...do You Cover Them?

Decorating By KakesbyKris Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm by Yum2010

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:09pm
post #31 of 35

Those most probably are foamcore boards. You can get them from most craft stores in the framing department. They come in various thickness. I use these for all my cake bases and in between tiers. They are pretty cheap and very sturdy. You just have to cut them to the desired size. To put the ribbon around them just use non stick tape or a glue stick...non-toxic of course.

Yum2010 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:11pm
post #32 of 35

oops...sorry I see someone already answered this question

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiq

I am going to totally piggy back this topic because I can't find answer on CC. As far as cakeboards go on the bootom (the visual one, what do you use for thick ones? I have seen ones that people put ribbons around the edge. what is that board made of!

Im with you on this one.

Those are really thick boards... I have some that are homemade from 2" Ply Wood(sturdy for any cake), but those are for my home use only, and i place my cake (on its cake board) on top of it...

There's really no need to use plywood unless you have a REALLY heavy cake to make sure it won't buckle. However, as long as you place your hand centered underneath and not hold from the sides, you can use either cake drums that are pre-covered in silver, white or gold, foamcore or several cardboard cake circles that have been taped together and covered. As I said before, I use white Freezer paper and it's great because the slick surface is easy to clean up around after decorating. I also use ribbon hot glued around the edge of the board to cover the edge and to add color and coordinate with the cake. Freezer paper is easy to find, inexpensive and looks great. (easy clean too).

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:35pm
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiq

I am going to totally piggy back this topic because I can't find answer on CC. As far as cakeboards go on the bootom (the visual one, what do you use for thick ones? I have seen ones that people put ribbons around the edge. what is that board made of!

Im with you on this one.

Those are really thick boards... I have some that are homemade from 2" Ply Wood(sturdy for any cake), but those are for my home use only, and i place my cake (on its cake board) on top of it...

There's really no need to use plywood unless you have a REALLY heavy cake to make sure it won't buckle. However, as long as you place your hand centered underneath and not hold from the sides, you can use either cake drums that are pre-covered in silver, white or gold, foamcore or several cardboard cake circles that have been taped together and covered. As I said before, I use white Freezer paper and it's great because the slick surface is easy to clean up around after decorating. I also use ribbon hot glued around the edge of the board to cover the edge and to add color and coordinate with the cake. Freezer paper is easy to find, inexpensive and looks great. (easy clean too).

I totally agree with the use of freezer paper. Not only is it inexpensive and looks good but it's so durable. I used four 12" cardboard circles taped together for the cake base for my nephew's birthday cake last week, and covered with the freezer paper. My sister in law brought the base back to me still covered with the freezer paper. She had wiped it off of course but there were no grease marks and no knife marks on the paper. You couldn't even tell it had been used to hold a cake. That's how durable it is.

Yum2010 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #35 of 35

Awesome idea with the freezer paper!! I'm excited about this!! I never knew if it would hold up to the grease or not. It would be so great to have something plain white that would coordinate with anything just in case you have those last minute cakes and don't have any cake foil or paper to match. Shoot, sometimes all you need is white with a nice ribbon for a clean classy look! Thanks! Totally gonna use that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%