The Circus Stinks

Lounge By costumeczar Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 2:09am by costumeczar

costumeczar Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 13

This is a link to photos of how Ringling Brothers trains their elephants to do all of the stupid tricks they do. I always hated elephant acts, but now I really hate them for all eternity. Don't look at this if you have any sympathy for animals whatsoever, it will make you angry. http://www.ringlingbeatsanimals.com/bound-babies.asp

12 replies
JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:19am
post #2 of 13

Good grief, I'm never taking my kids to the circus!

Zamode Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #3 of 13

I haven't liked the circus for decades and didn't take my daughter when it came around. . .I can't even watch the linked video and I didn't even click on the link . . . .

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:52am
post #4 of 13

That's really sad. I'm not sure taking the elephants from Ringling Bros and giving them to PETA would really help the elephants though...

costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:45am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

That's really sad. I'm not sure taking the elephants from Ringling Bros and giving them to PETA would really help the elephants though...

I wouldn't give them to PETA, but I'd like it if the elephantes got to go after the trainers with those hooks! icon_razz.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:21am
post #6 of 13

There's a letter on that website asking that the elephants be given to PETA. https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2359

costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

There's a letter on that website asking that the elephants be given to PETA. https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2359

I didn't even look at the rest of the website, this was just the first place that I'd ever seen the pictures of the actual training process. I don't think the circus wants people to know what really happens. What the heck would PETA do with them anyway? I'd take them and put them in a real elephant reserve. You couldn't turn them out into the wild, they don't know how to deal with that.

michellenj Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:10am
post #8 of 13

Last summer we got free tix to Ringling bros. I had no idea that there was a problem with animals being mistreated until the protestors gave us info. The tigers were zonked out of their minds on drugs. It was awful We didn;t see anything with the elephants or any other animals, but the lions and tigers were a drugged out mess. I felt extremely guilty patronizing them.

7yyrt Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:22am
post #9 of 13

Then why you asked, I have no idea.
edited

costumeczar Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:51am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

PETA would kill them like they do the rest of the animals they 'rescue'.

I have no interest in PETA. Taking PETA completely out of it, it's still just wrong to treat wild animals that way.

7yyrt Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #11 of 13

I see no need for you to snap at me because I answered a question THAT YOU ASKED.

If you don't want an answer, then don't ask the question next time; or perhaps you could just STATE it is a rhetorical question.

Have a good day.

costumeczar Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:03am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

You asked what they would do, I answered based on their history of actions.

It was a rhetorical question, I don't really care what PETA does. They don't kill every animal they come across, I'm sure. Even if they do kill every animal they see, it doesn't make the treament of circus animals any better.

costumeczar Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:09am
post #13 of 13

In case anyone IS interested in PETA's "plans" for the elephants, they are asking that they be retired and sent to elephant sanctuaries. This according to their website, where they're asking people to write to Ringling, the USDA (who issues animal handling licenses), and to Six Flags, who apparently has elephants at some of their parks, too. I didn't see anywhere on there where it said that they were planning on killing the elephants, so what a relief!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%