If You're In The Wilton Course #2: Flowers And Cake Design..

Decorating By KayMc Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm by auntiecake

KayMc Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 12

I start this class tomorrow evening. I've already made my own gum paste, as I always make the recipe from Nicholas Lodge. Did any of you make your own fondant? I see the list of supplies says I'm to bring the Wilton neon fondant. I've heard such horrible things about Wilton fondant, that I hate to waste the $$ on it. What is your advice?

11 replies
KayMc Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 12

Anyone? I need to make my (first time ever!) batch of MFF if I need to take it to tomorrow's class.

kjxoxo1 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 12

sorry im not taking a class....Good luck to you!! Hopefully someone that has will post. I didnt want you to think that you were being ignored. icon_smile.gif

VentureSister Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 12

Took the old curriculm awhile back for Wilton. Our teacher didn't care if we used homemade or wilton. In fact, she gave us a couple different recipes. I would just take your homemade but tint it the neon colors that are requested. IMO as long as it is some form of it, it should not matter.

maisyone2 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 12

Only thing I have to add is that this is just practice in class and you don't have to have anyone eat the things you make....so having said that, the Wilton fondant is the cheapest to buy or make as long you use one of the 40% off coupons to purchase it.

Monirr04 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 12

Hi KayMc,

I took the classes a few months back and used my own marshmellow fondant. Our instructor encouraged us to make it ourselves and bring it in rather than buying it.
Hope this helps.

LindaF144a Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 12

I took this class and you use so little, it is not worth it to buy a whole box. I think a smart teacher would have you wait til the class starts and then have the members of the class buy a box and split it. You probably need about 1/4 cup altogether. Unless you make more of the flowers they show for the cake. I didn't.

And we were very surprised at how good Wilton fondant tastes now. You should try it. And the other thing is, IMO no matter what you mix with gum paste it takes on a flavor that is not worth eating. Who eats the floral decorations anyway? And like the others said if you can get it at Michaels with the coupon, it is not much of a waste.

Good luck.

KayMc Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #8 of 12

Thank you all so much for your replies! I do have a 40% off coupon, and since it's already after 8 PM and I'm feeling lazy...... I think I'll buy the Wilton. Even if I don't like the flavor (I've never tried it yet, so I don't know), I can make more flowers or decorations with it. Thanks, guys!

TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 12

As a WMI I always ask that my students use the premade Wilton Gumpaste and Fondant in class. My reasoning behind this is that 95% of my students have never worked with either, and while not everyone loves the taste of Wilton's fondant it is a great texture to work with.

The gumpaste and colored fondant is used to make a Button Flower and a Pansy. Chances are no one is going to eat it anyway.

Mabma80 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #10 of 12

I used the Wilton fondant because it is a class and you're just learning. You're just learning techniques and how to handle fondant. Besides, if you want to eat the cake later, just peel off the fondant and enjoy! : )

icer101 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 12

i tell the students the same thing as TexasSugar. Some students bring in mmf. It is so sticky and shiny, they don,t even like it. Then they go buy the wilton fondant and g/p. I don,t push anything. I just tell them the truth and let them decide. Sometimes they make the wrong decision. lol. And so can i. I just suggest, work with the wilton fondant and g/p( i love wilton and nick lodges g/p. and then after classes, you can use whatever you desire. they laugh.

auntiecake Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 12

I agree that if you use the Wilton fondant and buy it with the coupon that you will be sure to have the right consistency etc. If you have never made it or used it before it may not turn out the way it should and you may not know the difference. On the other hand, I encourage my students to make their own, but I don't teach thru Wilton. I teach at a community college and if you bring a product that doesn't work or you had trouble making it, we can figure out what happened and correct it. That way you know for sure how to make it when you are done with the class. I always take some to use in case someone had trouble and can't use theirs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%