"writing' On Tiered Cake???

Decorating By luvbuttercream Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 1:54am by luvbuttercream

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 6

I have a lady that wants a 3 tier cake for her moms 75th bday. It is going to be rather elegant. With flowers and a flower topper. She now has called and said she forgot to mention she wants it to say 'Happy 75th Birthday Connie' Iam unsure how to do this with keeping with the elegance of the cake. The cake is going to be white with red and white flowers with black centers and lady bugs. I was thinking I would do the writing in black but I have heard horror stories about black 'bleeding' into white buttercream. Any advice on this would be great. Thank you!

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 6

I would make a gumpaste or fondant plaque and write the message on that. I hate having to add script to a cake that has no place for it. LOL If you did it on a plaque it wouldn't even have to go "on the cake" it could be kind of in front of the cake on the cake base or something.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 6

You can do a banner out of gumpaste, or put message on the board.

luvbuttercream Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 6

Both of those ideas sound good. Would the black bleed into white fondant or gumpaste??

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:06am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbuttercream

Would the black bleed into white fondant or gumpaste??

I've written with black and done black stringwork on wedding cakes for many years, so I doubt that your black would bleed onto your fondant or gumpaste. I think the horror stories you've heard probably have something to do with condensation from freezing/thawing or refrigerating cakes. To be certain, I'd make sure that your plaque is thoroughly dried first, and refrain from refrigerating the plaque.

The nice thing about the plaque idea that's been suggested is that if it doesn't work out as you planned, you haven't ruined anything directly on your cake and you'll hopefully have time to repair it or make another.

luvbuttercream Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:54am
post #6 of 6

Thank you Unlimited! That was a lot of very helpful info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%