Tall Cakes

Decorating By MJTKNT Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 2:33am by MJTKNT

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 6

Can someone educate me on tall cakes? When you make a cake that's over 4" tall, how is it served? If, say, you had a 6" cake- would you still cut your pieces the same size as for a 4" cake? I would assume that if it were much more than that, then each cake would be on it's own board, doweled, and then just cut and served like a regular layer- but if it's under fondant, how do you know where the bottom of that layer is? Do you just cut it on top of the others?

5 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 6

Every 4 inches you want to add support so say your cake is 8 inches high you'd want to dowel and use a cakeround at the 4 inch mark. When it came to cutting you could divide the cake at the support (but you may not be able to see the support any longer) or you could just cut down the first slice...just the first cut...to find the division and then divide the cake from there. But without support every 4 inches you take the chance of the cake toppling or collapsing.

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 6

MJTKNT thanks for asking this question. I too am getting ready to make a tall cake, but hadn't gotten quite this far in my thinking. Hope you get lots of good advice icon_wink.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Every 4 inches you want to add support so say your cake is 8 inches high you'd want to dowel and use a cakeround at the 4 inch mark. When it came to cutting you could divide the cake at the support (but you may not be able to see the support any longer) or you could just cut down the first slice...just the first cut...to find the division and then divide the cake from there. But without support every 4 inches you take the chance of the cake toppling or collapsing.

What she said! I did a tall Uncle Sam hat cake for the 4th and I had to cut the first piece through the top to find the next support. I was then able to remove the top tier with no problem. your cake slices will be taller, but you should get the same amount of servings per cake...unless you want to cut the pieces in half again. Some people don't want what they consider to be 'that large' a piece...even though they come back later for seconds. Go figure. icon_biggrin.gif

MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 6

cake is cake and all the slices will be the same size.

most "diss-assemble" their cakes before it is served. Taking off each layer that is to be served (with the largest layer/bottom being served first)

Each layer is typically covered seperately, which makes it easy to lift the cake layer on each seperate board.

To make cakes look like "all one piece" it takes practice and usually some kind of decoration where the layers meet up.

Good luck, HTH!

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #6 of 6

Thanks cat- that's what I was thinking would happen. Do you just take a sharp knife and go around the fondant once you've figured where the board was so you're able to lift it off?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%