Least Expensive Way To Make Dummy Display?? Need Asap!

Decorating By lovenintheoven Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 11:22pm by Annso

lovenintheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovenintheoven Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 19

I have a new business going and at the last minute was asked to have a display and tastings for a big show/sale this week...4 days from now! So what is the least expensive way to do a multitiered dummy cake? And I ahve NEVER done a dummy cake, so does a crisco based buttercream adhere to the styrofoam? I thought that would be cheapest, instead of more expensive hi ratio. Any other hints? Generic powdered sugar? Thanks!

18 replies
lovenintheoven Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 19

Actually...one more Q. Do I even need a buttercream under the fondant of a dummy? Would an apricot/water brushing do? Thanks!

MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 19

I have never made one, but would like to know the cheapest way as well!

I have read on here once before about people using styrofoam, then wrapping it very tightly with seran wrap (so that you can reuse to styrofoam) then maybe brushing the seran wrap with a syrup and them the fondant.

I'm assuming you wouldn't want to make a dummy with buttercream.

I would like some answers to!

btw- does anyone know what grocery stores use when they make dummies? Publix, for example often has displays of the wedding cakes they do, and I have touched them before and they are hard as a rock! And they seem to be on display all the time.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 19

I would like to know also...especially about the buttercream on a dummy. I always thought the grocery store displays were covered in royal icing, but who knows. It could be plaster for all I know LOL!!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 19

I have never covered a dummy cake with butercream, but I have used fondant. It is super easy.....I just brush my dummy with shortening or even piping gel will work and just apply the fondant over the dummy. It works great and it is really easy to take off. It kind of peels its way off the dummy. I have heard about saran wrap, but I have never used it....shortening works great!!

I would use cheap fondant....maybe wilton (with a coupon) or make your own MMF.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 19

I was always told to use fondant over styro that BC would not work.
Maybe royal icing?

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 19

I have only made three dummy cakes. you can just rub a little shortening under the fondant. I would also post a sign in front of your dummy cakes that offers them as rentals for a wedding. This can help get back some of your money. I offered my cakes to rent for $100 and offered kitchen cakes for serving.

Hope this helps

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 19

I just spritz my dummies with water, and cover with fondant, works great.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 19

Make sure that you soften the sharp edges of the foam first. You can sand the edges, push the edges onto the counter, rub a rolling pin or the heel of your hand against the foam to soften the edges. The least expensive method to adhere the fondant is to use a bit of water. The foam should be damp not wet. If you are making the fondant use the least expensive ingredents you can get. Leave out the flavouring. Taste does not matter.
After the foam is covered let them sit out to dry up a bit. There will be less chance of fingerprint dents this way. Store them with a large plastic bag over top. Do not seal.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 19

I also like the dummies that have the curved edge, the fondant doesn't rip at all with those. You can sand them down too if you have the ones with sharp edges.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #11 of 19

If you want to do a buttercream look, use royal icing. If not, just make a fondant covered one. I know that there is an artificial icing that you can buy to decorate dummies, but don't know if it is cheaper than fondant covered. Good luck.

MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm
post #12 of 19

how long will a fondant covered dummy last? Like, how long would you leave it on display without having to worry about molding?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 19

It should dry out so that the fondant is rock hard. It will only mold if you use too much liquid on the foam when applying the fondant. They will last for years.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:41pm
post #14 of 19

My the owner of our local cake store covers his in royal frosting or fondant. I wouldn't put butter cream under fondant on a cake dummy. What about making Tylose glue and applying a thin layer on the styrofoam and then add the fondant.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm
post #15 of 19

I use a thin layer of crisco underneath fondant....or just ice with royal icing for "buttercream".

Both will last forever, practically, if kept dusted off and stuff.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:52pm
post #16 of 19

I just finished two dummies!

For fondant, spritz the styro with a bit of water and put on the fondant. Use the fondant smoother and really push it on. Give a few minutes and it will sick.

For bc, just put it on as you normally do. Because the stryo dummy it so lightweight skewer it to a base board like a drum so that you're not chasing it all over the counter.

You do not have to put on plastic wrap or Crisco or anything. To remove the bc or fondant, just run hot water over the dummy. So people put them in the dishwasher.

I've got dummies I've been using and reusing for YEARS.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:48pm
post #17 of 19

You're better off covering the dummy in fondant. Less chance of getting dings in the frosting like you would with BC

I do a very thin smear of shortening over the dummy and cover in fondant.

lovenintheoven Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:49pm
post #18 of 19

Thanks for all the help. Here I go.... icon_smile.gif

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:22pm
post #19 of 19

I love the information on this thread. I have always wonderd if dummies could be coverd in bc. By the sound of it i guess the fondant is better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%