Wholesale Buttercream

Decorating By kjxoxo1 Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 5:20am by cakeflake80

kjxoxo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjxoxo1 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 5

I do not have a business permit nor an EIN number. I am wanting to purchase buttercream icing at wholesale prices. Does anyone know a company that does this? I am extremely new to cake decorating. The costs are expensive as you all know. I am just trying to figure out how to cut down on my costs. I am not selling any cakes just baking to learn. Thanks so much!!

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 5

To purchase at real wholesale prices, you'd have to be a business that meets the minimum order requirement. Since you're only needing BC to practice with, just pick up a bucket at Sam's Club as you need it. You could also practice with artificial icing that's made for using on styrofoam cake dummies for display purposes. Spackle from the hardware store would work too, but the BC is easier to work with because it's the right consistency to get used to and it's easier to scrape off and use again since you won't be selling it.

kjxoxo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjxoxo1 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks!!! I didnt realize SAMS club has it...I went on their website and didnt see it!! I will swing by there this week!! Thank you soooo much for your response!!!! icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 5

It's not on their website, you need to ask the bakery department for it. I've heard that some stores don't like to give up what they have in the back unless you call first to see if they have plenty of extra that day. It wouldn't hurt to call a few days before you need it to ask if your store would like it preordered in advance or not.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:20am
post #5 of 5

I buy the Sam's buttercream every couple of months or so, and they normally don't put up a fight. The first time I went, I called to make sure they had it. They did. I got there (40 min. drive) and the women at the bakery got very defensive and said 'oh...I can't sell you that. We won't have enough for the weekend'. I said 'well, I called and was told you had it, and I drove 40 minutes to get it. So I am not leaving without it'. Of course she gave me a bucket, but not without the snide 'well this is going to leave us short for the weekend' comment. Oh well. I have found that if you go later in the afternoon (around 4pm), they only have younger employees still working in the bakery and they could care less and give it up without a fight!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%